TLCA and Lexus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G-Cat

SILVER Star
Threads
I searched and found nothing addressing this, so here goes:

First, I realize that Lexus is owned by Toyota Motor Corp and that the LX-450 and LX-470 are re-badged Land Cruisers and therefore the owners of these trucks are eligible to be TLCA members.

My question is this: Should the TLCA By-laws be made to specificaly address the fact that LX-450/470 owners are eligible to join the TLCA?

Reason I ask: I keep a hand-full of club-provided Toyota Trails and LSLC fliers in my Cruiser. Any time that I see an LX-450/470 with bigger-than-stock tires, or other off-road mods, I leave a TT/Flier under the windshield in hopes that the owner will join LSLC/TLCA. What I wonder is if the owner (let's pretend he/she is not a rocket scientist) goes to the TLCA site and sees it is for Toyota Land Cruiser owners. We all know that many Lexus owners have no idea there is even a relationship with Toyota much less that their truck is actually a Cruiser. (Okay, I understand that those who do not make the connection are also those who are unlikely to wheel/join a club to begin with.)

But, a simple change to the by-laws, to specifically include these two Lexus trucks, may help the TLCA in membership. I mean, even if it means only 5 new members, is it that hard of a process to go through.

Again, maybe it's been discussed..maybe it's not worth the band-width...but I'm always trying to think of ways to boost my local club's membership and, in turn, TLCA's. :)

Garth...

the by law change (that I remember working on) to change the text to ... any Toyota manufactured vehicle ... was done specifically for our Lexus driving friends.

I don't believe it says Land cruiser anymore... but is more broad by noting any toyota manufactured vehicle.

If this is not the case let me know!

See you in TX in March!

Yes, that is what it says. I'm just saying that I think there are a lot of Lexus owners who do not know their trucks are manufactued by Toyota. My next-door neighbor just purchased a 99 470. In talking to him, he noted how similar the LC and the Lexus seem to be. He's not dumb, just uninformed. It may very well be a moot point, as most of those who don't realize that their Lexus is a Cruiser also don't know what the diff lock is for and would sooner put some 20" Blings on it than take it off road! ::)

I guess I'm miffed at all of the 450s/470s that I've left TTs for without any of them comin' to a meeting!! :mad:

Yeah, March will be great. It's looking like we will hit capacity, too! :cheers:

Hey, Garth1,
Perhaps make a small stack of flyers specifically addressing the Lexus crowd?

Good idea.

On the 450s I don't think they'd need to be reminded that their Lexus's are made by Toyota. It says it on the glass on the wheels and several other places. I've always thought this was funny. What is the point of trying to create a different brand if you keep the old brands name on the new brand? I'm not sure on the 470s, I don't see too many of them out on the trail :) I must say that I'm glad you are going after these folks as members :beer: My dad has an LX450 after owning two 80 series prior to it. He chose the LX450 because it was cheaper than a Land Cruiser. Two identical 97s sitting on the same lot. The Lexus had fewer miles and was in better shape. It is funny because the dealer said used Lexus's aren't worth as much as a LC because folks recognize the Land Cruiser name and associate it with 4wd. The LX 450 is not a current body style so the wanna be wealthy aren't as interested. This is what he has said caused the Lexus's to drop in value. Interesting!

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=10;threadid=11422;start=msg110163#msg110163 date=1077724236]
It is funny because the dealer said used Lexus's aren't worth as much as a LC because folks recognize the Land Cruiser name and associate it with 4wd. The LX 450 is not a current body style so the wanna be wealthy aren't as interested. This is what he has said caused the Lexus's to drop in value. Interesting!
[/quote]

Yeah, I got my FZJ in 2000, and similar 450s where the same or a little cheaper. May just get the wife a stocker 450 and put this FZJ where she's supposed to be! :D

[quote author=Garth1 link=board=10;threadid=11422;start=msg110470#msg110470 date=1077755071]
similar 450s where the same or a little cheaper.
[/quote]

WERE the same, damn it, not "where" the same. :whoops:

Not trying to pad m count, just scatter-brained (5-day old keeping me up!)

My theory behind getting all of the Lexus owners involved is this: If we get some Lexus owners to join and get to a few meetings or, gasp, even a run...they are the ones who may very well (with money not being as much of an issue) get into a vintage Cruiser (not one of yours, Mushro) or two. The more of these rigs that get saved/built/wheeled, the better off we (TLCA) are as an organization.

Are they really the same? Under all of the Lexus foofoo are the suspensions the same? Do they come with factory lockers? Can they be built and modified with LC parts?
Heck if I know!
devo

[quote author=devo link=board=10;threadid=11422;start=msg148622#msg148622 date=1083387084]
Are they really the same? Under all of the Lexus foofoo are the suspensions the same? Do they come with factory lockers? Can they be built and modified with LC parts?
Heck if I know!
devo
[/quote]

Yes, they are, and yes, they can. The Lexus comes with a softer suspension from the factory, but the same OME suspension used to lift a Cruiser is used to lift the LX. Other than that, the body cladding, cd changer etc., same-same.