TLC4x4 Erod V8 Conversion Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry if I am straying of the subject a little but it looks like the engine gurus are hanging out here. Just bought a 62 with 312,xxx miles on it and it still fires up no issues and runs great so far.

So here is my questions and looking for advice.
A. Get a legit tune up and run it till it has a catastrophic failure then worry about it?
B. Have it rebuilt?
C. Find a used 3FE from a reputable place and do an engine swap?
D. Although fine with the 3FE engine, look into swapping it out with a Chevy 5.3L?

Appreciate it.

Agree with wyo. I have a 5.3 and I wish I would of stayed with the 3f and went with a h55 instead. Dont get me wrong, I love my 5.3 just wish I stayed with toyota

Sorry if I am straying of the subject a little but it looks like the engine gurus are hanging out here. Just bought a 62 with 312,xxx miles on it and it still fires up no issues and runs great so far.

So here is my questions and looking for advice.
A. Get a legit tune up and run it till it has a catastrophic failure then worry about it?
B. Have it rebuilt?
C. Find a used 3FE from a reputable place and do an engine swap?
D. Although fine with the 3FE engine, look into swapping it out with a Chevy 5.3L?

Appreciate it.

A. Tune up with OEM parts, adjust the valves and drive it. Drive it, learn its quirks, get to know it then decide where the needs are. The 3FE is a good engine and can really come alive with a manual transmission behind it.

Not an engine guru (goo-goo, maybe) but I second the comments above. If it ain't broke, just love it and drive it. You'll figure the rest out later.

Gotta ask the rhetorical question - what kind of driving you want to do with it and how? I wanted a no-shift, low-rev highway capable expedition truck and that's what I got, with a GM V8 and a 4 speed auto. Wouldn't trade it for anything, but that's just me.

I agree that the I-6 and H55 can rock, its just depends on what your needs and preferences are.

Its all good...just don't let anyone tell you you're wrong.

Cheers

I appreciate all the advice. Don't plan on turning it into a rock crawler or anything, just something for around town driving and the unimproved mountain roads up in North Georgia. Getting a thorough tune up is my first choice but just wondering in the long run financially if it would be better to go ahead and rebuild it or swap it for a gently used 3FE since both would get a thorough tune up after installation.

Tuneup's are cheap, engine rebuilds are not.

Tune it up and drive the tires off of it.

A. Tune up with OEM parts, adjust the valves and drive it. Drive it, learn its quirks, get to know it then decide where the needs are. The 3FE is a good engine and can really come alive with a manual transmission behind it.

Did the same with my first one. That 3FE will run way beyond your expectations, even without maintenance. Maybe not well, but there's a reason old Toyotas are still the talibans favorite ride past BFE.

After many moons, I decided I needed a little more and went with a Turnkey 5.3 in my new(er) one. Love it. It's rated at nearly 200hp more than the 3FE in the showroom 20+yrs ago and is something like 200lbs light IIRC? It's not a Toyota, which I'm not super thrilled about...but it does what I need it to do and very well :)

This is an interesting engine option, I really like that CARB sticker... Future swaps have jumped around in my head a lot since I bought my truck, but to be honest, if I swapped a V8 into my 60, I feel like I would really miss the smooth sound of the 2F...

...Maybe im just crazy, but I think it would drive me nuts not hearing a 6 cylinder when I step on the gas...

And if I was going to spend the money on a swap, I would end up going all out anyway, and a simple engine swap would turn into a full on resto.... so at that point I would end up with a turbo desiel of some sort... and I'd be living on the street. :flush:

... maybe I'll just end up rebuilding the 2F someday...

I second your sentiments Machinist. I love the sound of my 2F, sure wish it had a bit more power.

I second your sentiments Machinist. I love the sound of my 2F, sure wish it had a bit more power.

Agreed. Just has such a nice sound to it.

x2

A large part of my reluctance with conversions has been the horrendous hack jobs I've seen; wire bundles spliced in with snap T's or twisted wires wrapped with electrical tape, splattery welds on engine mounts made from old bed frames, garden hoses run to the heater core, etc. I'm sure you've all seen them too. You've stopped to look a Cruiser you saw with a 'For Sale' sign setting in a parking lot, lift the hood and throw up in your mouth a little bit. Then worse, the guy selling it thinks he's added value to his rig with his spectacular fabbing skills. 40's seem to be molested more often, perhaps its their age or simplicity.

(my apologies to anyone who has done a quality conversion.)

This fully engineered kit is a whole different animal. I might just set down my stone hammer and enter the new century.

I agree with you 100%. We have all seen this type of work and heard the stories behind them. Like much in our lives we tend to place a great deal of judgement on a subject based on the worse examples we see. George stated it well, the E-rod is a variant of a Vortec swap.

I have read countless threads on this and other forums regarding LSX based swaps in to vehicles from early Camaros to Land Cruisers and I keep seeing similar issues with many of them. The two big issues are the motors running hot and having fuel supply issues. Yet the Vortec motors post big mileage numbers in fleet service on a regular basis, 300-400K miles on oil changes and spark plugs. So why do we see problems in so many swaps?

Simple answer, shade tree logic and just plain being cheap. I see people throw around numbers like "you can do a 5.3L/ 4L60E swap for around $4K if you do it yourself. True if you do not change the oil, add new plugs and wires or a new serp belt, and re use the old exhaust system and fuel lines. The fact is that the motor trans and adapter kit is only the start. You need a new fuel system, radiator, heater hoses, belts, wiring, relays, PS hoses, AC hoses, trans hoses on an auto, shift linkage, exhaust, intake, hardware and the list goes on.

I run full Autometer gauges. Why would I keep a stock temp gauge that reads C on the bottom and H on the top? Is it overheating at C and a half, or C and three quarters? Same applies to oil pressure. I also use a totally rebuilt trans from nationally known companies that come with a warranty. All of the above listed items are replaced with new, right down to the thermostat. This means that your baseline maintenance is done when the swap is complete. Going with the E-Rod just takes the whole process one step farther.

Motor swaps are similar to having your kitchen re modeled. You can have your out of work pal do it on the cheap and spend a lot less money because he knows a guy that can get you a great deal on some scratch and dent appliances and over stock tile, or you can go to a reputable contractor and pay a bit more and have a good job and the comfort of knowing he will stand behind his work.

The major difference in the E-rod, aside from the CARB sticker for those in Ca, Co and similar regulated states is that it is brand new. All the supporting equipment is the same. If you use a used engine with say 120K on the clock it is reasonable to expect you will get another 150-200 K out of that motor. When and if it lets go you now are swapping in an engine that is apples for apples, not a complete swap like going from a 3F to a Vortec. The cost is far lower as you are not re inventing the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom