1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TLC fly-by-wire

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by e9999, Jan 24, 2004.

1. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

neat!
    just found out that -according to the FSM- the '03 model TLC does no longer have an accelerator cable, unlike the '02. Yup! The pedal is not mechanically connected to anything. There is an electronic position sensor and that's that! Wonder what kind of fail-safe system they put in there so it doesn't suddenly think you floored it due to a short or somethin'...

Not quite fully a fighter airplane, though, looks like the brake pedal is still mechanically connected to the cylinder. I guess they don't quite trust the serious stuff to the new-fangled electronics?

ah, the wonders of modern technology...!

E

2. Asiarider

Asiarider

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=10559;start=msg94825#msg94825 date=1074929510]
    neat!
    just found out that -according to the FSM- the '03 model TLC does no longer have an accelerator cable, unlike the '02. Yup! The pedal is not mechanically connected to anything. There is an electronic position sensor and that's that! Wonder what kind of fail-safe system they put in there so it doesn't suddenly think you floored it due to a short or somethin'...

Not quite fully a fighter airplane, though, looks like the brake pedal is still mechanically connected to the cylinder. I guess they don't quite trust the serious stuff to the new-fangled electronics?

ah, the wonders of modern technology...!

E
    [/quote]

I think I have to buy a 03 too. Sounds great. Eric, don't forget to buy a 80 so.

Mike

3. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

The main advantage of throttle by wire is seamless cruise control and better interface with the ECM. I've seen it work great on as pedestrian of a car as a V-6 camaro. The ECM looks at a lot of stuff and compares it all the time. If it saw a WOT signal and the brake on at the same time, it would over ride the throttle signal.

BMW is using brake by wire. They have a hydraulic back up system for emergencies. That has a lot of uses. ABS, traction control, yaw control, active suspension. All kinds of things are linked together. Toyota currently has all those things, and downhill braking assist, on the GX and 4 skinner and would greatly benifit from brake by wire.

4. Pitbull

Pitbull

My wifes new Z has every initial in the book working on it. TC, VDC, VVT etc. etc. wonder what it costs to fix all of these? :whoops:

5. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

yup, the repair of the electronic gizmos is indeed an issue.
    I guess perhaps more the fact that you typically have to replace a whole assembly/circuit for one lousy bad connection inside, cuz it's just too complicated to identify the bad part.
    Was recently inquiring about how much it would cost to fix a bad Nav system on a LC. The basic answer seemed to have been that you can't fix, you got to replace it. And apparently, they change the design of these things all the time, so one year's model is not the same as the next, so that they are made in small number, read expensive. Cost of "fixing" the Nav Sys: about $5,000 just for the center display etc, I'm told... :( And it's touch sensitive so I wonder how long that will last...

As far as mechanical vs electronic connections to important devices like brakes, I wonder if there has any serious study been done as to which is more reliable in the long run. Personally, I'd rather have a piece of metal between the brake pedal and the rest than a wire, but that's probably highly prejudiced by habit...
    E

6. landtoy80

landtoy80

On my KW semi the foot throttle is electronic. It has a auto-shift tranny. It is a 10 speed tranny with a clutch but no shifter. It has a touch pad that I push the D button and push in the clutch and go. After I let the clutch out the computer takes over and shifts for me. I just keep the pedal floored and the computer reves up the motor, lets off the throttle, shifts and reves the motor up again. Its like driving a golf cart.
    It is a pain in the ass too, yesterday I turned off the motor, then it wouldn't start as the computer didn't think the tranny was in N and wouldn't let the ignition send a signal to the starter to start the motor.
    I had the computer go bad from a shock I got when I touched the shift pad.
    One other time the wire from the battery to the computer got a short and the tranny got stuck in 10 gear. Both times I had to be towed :(
    The electronic stuff is great when it works but you are stranded when it doesn't.

7. Beowulf

Beowulf

>> Its like driving a golf cart. <<

Somehow this does not compute.

-B-

8. landtoy80

landtoy80

""">> Its like driving a golf cart. <<

Somehow this does not compute.

-B-"""

When driving through Chitcago, I use to have to shift, shift, shift in traffic.
    Now I just put it in geat and floor it while drinking beer...
    Root beer that is :)

9. fj55-100

fj55-100 SILVER Star

Dont forgit that the 03 steering shaft no longer goes to the rack, just out of the column it goes to the accuator for the VGRS< system Varriable Gear Ratio Steering system that controlls the ratio of how many turns the gear box is, to make it easy in parking lots, and hard on the fwy. all done electronicly

With an onstar system/or lexus link it is feasable that BIG BROTHER could unlock your doors/start your truck/through the navigation system steer it /track its progress/and apply the brakes... all done through sattilites.....

yes working here is starting to freak me out watching what we can controll with a simple laptop, imagine what a $$$$$$$$ computer could do
    :eek: