Builds TLC-77 Old school, new member :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IROK are perfect. But 36' too small for heavy truck. And I changed it to 39'5*13
Winter became much funny, snow became easier :)

39.jpg

iz54.jpg

iz01.jpg

iz62.jpg

iz53.jpg

The Arctic way to ride in the snow called "toptat", or "pendulum"
Manual transmission required. 1st low gear, 800-1000 rpm. Move forward and catch the monent of tire slip. And press clutch pedal immediately. Thuck moves back, and we release the pedal at the moment of reverse movement.
If you have enough patience, you will never get stuck in the snow!

(The snow depth in this video is more than 1 meter)

Last edited:
This is undisputedly one of the best threads on 'Mud! Epic LandCruiser, stunning scenery, amazing terrain...not sure what could be better.

You're also making me miss my G-Wagen :( It was the first vehicle I had that really allowed me to get out wheeling in the winter, and was an absolute blast.
IMG_2932.jpg

This is undisputedly one of the best threads on 'Mud! Epic LandCruiser, stunning scenery, amazing terrain...not sure what could be better.

You're also making me miss my G-Wagen :( It was the first vehicle I had that really allowed me to get out wheeling in the winter, and was an absolute blast.

Thank you! 🖐

G-Wagen is wonderful, true vehicle! 460?

YES!! You are going the right direction for tire size! Those look even better!!!

You are right! :) 39'5 much better than 36 :)

About tires.
First I used Cooper Discoverer ST 35' in winter. It's not bad in show, but very poor at frost on the road. Cooper became a stone when tempereture below -25
Not for siberian winters, you see :)
But it's not bad on the rocky roads of Altay mountains and Mongolia

rb02.jpg

rb10.jpg

rt13.jpg

mng2012_71hurgan.jpg

a1.jpg

But 35 is too slow with portal axles. I hardly managed to find 37*12.5R16 Dick Cepek
A lot of 37 tyres for 17 weels, but very hard to find AT 37 tyres for 16 wheels. Times have changed! :)

Those tyrea can not move on mud. But it's perfect on rocky roads of Mongolia!

dc00.jpg

1-08.jpg

1-18.jpg

6-21.jpg

13-21.jpg

Dick Cepek absolutely summer tyres. I was looking for something suitable for winter. Guys at Arctic regions prefer Interco IROK
I got 36x13.5x16 . They showed their best on deep snow!
But sometimes snow appeared too deep... )))

roz06.jpg

ob02.jpg

ob01.jpg

gav09.jpg

apl09.jpg

IROK is awesome at winter. It's soft and has excellent grip. Even at -35C
Which tyres are better than IROK? Only bigger IROK :) And I sold 36' and bought 39.5"
That's seemes to me wonderful now!

Only one thing can stop us now. Unfrozen swamp under the snow )))

iz64.jpg

iz65.jpg

dark.jpg

iz21.jpg

lep-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! 🖐

G-Wagen is wonderful, true vehicle! 460?

Yes, a W460. It had been a 2.8 Petrol but the previous owner had swapped in an OM617 turbo diesel with some performance modifications :cool: Lots of fun, but very expensive to own. I definitely agree on the IROK tires, I thought they would be terrible in the winter but they actually did very well both on and off road, for a year the G was my only car and I drove it everywhere. I didn't have beadlocks, but 8psi and twin lockers got me out of about anything!

I definitely agree on the IROK tires, I thought they would be terrible in the winter but they actually did very well both on and off road,

And IROK were unexpectedly bad in mud! So sparse tread pattern, i hoped it would be good.... But no! They were completely helpless in mud (((
It must be perfect in mossy swamp, but not in clay.

And I got SIMEX 36*12.5

vt01.jpg

vt07.jpg

vt09.jpg

vt34.jpg

sim1.jpg

Now 90-95 km/h at 2400-2500 rpm. I feel it's OK now. Faster became harder to steer :)

Generally, driving Lapocruiser is not a Bentley. It's hard work )))

Hi Lapocruiser; thanks again for this great thread. I really enjoy your pictures of Russia/Siberia and the development of your Landcruiser! I look forward to the updates every day.

That is very interesting about the best tires for snow and other conditions you experience. I have done some snow driving here in Canada. I use narrow tires with chains for shallow and icy snow. For deep snow, I find the widest largest soft tire possible is best to float on top.

I've seen pictures of some Land-cruisers specially modified with very wide large tires for flotation on ice/snow. I think they are used in Iceland and some parts of the Arctic. Very expensive tires thought.

arctic_trucks_toyota_land_cruiser_troop_carrier_at44_3.jpg
arctic_trucks_toyota_land_cruiser_troop_carrier_at44_1.jpg

Yep! I also heared about those "Icelanders" trucks. Of course in deep snow large tyres are better. Only one thing is different.
In wide spaces of Arctic snow is hard, with crust (we call it "nast"), Wide tires are best for it.
In our region snow is soft, loose. Wide tyres makes a bunch in front of itself and stops. So, tire must be not very wide, but a lagge diameter. And it must became more longer than wider when deflate :)

pk36.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom