TLC 100 Shudder/Vibration - Loss of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arm

Threads
Hey Guys
New to the forum and have found it super useful to carry out many DIY's on my own along with a trove of infromation. Before anything i have tired to search the forum for the issue i am facing however cant seem to get a definitive answer so maybe someone here can help. I have a 2000 FZJ100 ATM with a 1FZFE. Its got about 186,000 miles on it (all by the 1st owner). Got it as a project that i intend to restore. It has all new suspension components (Toyota genuine) with literally every single bush/part replaced along with a new set of shocks, new tyres, new rotors front and rear, new U-joints in both the front and rear propshafts as well as fuilds replaced on the front and rear diff,Tcase including the gear box.

From a dead stop when you accelerate there is wobble/shudder which has significantly reduced after replacing the old busted u-joints, however it is still there abliet less pronounced. When the car is upto speed say about 60 mph there seems to be an oscillating vibration/shudder in the whole car and seems to stay constant if not increasing as you speedup. It also has a drone that comes and goes like a rotational vibration to the extent the rear view mirror vibrating is visual proof. The gas millage on the car is horrible along with it being very slugging off the line and seems like i am towing something behind. Adding to this there is now a variance in the actual speed vs what is displayed on the speedo which was previously not the case. I had an issue with the gearbox where is stopped shifting, however after replacing the fluids and a loose electrical cable it seems to be working alright though there is a high pitched whine everytime you drive it, not sure if its from the gearbox or the tcase but seems to be coming from the front/mid of the car.

I am thinking if its the front diff that has an issue or the gearbox, as it feels like the car is seized when driving along with an annoying shudder that feels like sitting in a washing machine.

Looking for any input that might be useful.
Cheers

Did they install the driveshafts in phase after taking them apart?

ill hv a look at the driveshaft can confirm. Btw i see you are from Dubai as well, any recommendations on a garage/mechanic who is good with TLC's

Shudder & Vibration and Loss of Power - I didn't see it written in your post, at what point is it loosing power? The title description would appear as Transmission issue or maybe bad coil packs issue, but your symptom descriptions points to Drive Line: Propshafts, Ujoints, CV Axles.

If u-joints weren't spaced properly they will vibirate-ocilate, if propshafts weren't high speed balanced after new u-joints, they will likely vibrate, set up out of Phase (unlikely but possible) : will vibrate, worn upper & lower rear control/link arm bushings will allow the diff to flex up or down enough under acceleration to cause vibes, if CV Axles are worn out on hard acceleration they will vibrate, growl, and click when turning etc.

Do a full assessment as to what level of detail the driveline repairs were and start back at zero and go step by step: try and identify if you're feeling the vibes in your seat or your hands, do you notice more on acceleration or deceleration, or constant.

Read the list on this link : post #101, to help narrow down your issues:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom