TJM vs Trail-Tailor Hidden winch tray comparison (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know the differences between the two?
$425 for the Trail Tailor
$170 with free shipping for the TJM

Huge price point difference here. TT says they use 1/4" steel. No specs on the TJM.

TT doesn't have any photos of their mount not installed, so it's a bit difficult to see the design.

Does anyone know the differences between the two?
$425 for the Trail Tailor
$170 with free shipping for the TJM

Huge price point difference here. TT says they use 1/4" steel. No specs on the TJM.

TT doesn't have any photos of their mount not installed, so it's a bit difficult to see the design.
I'm pretty sure the TJM is an add-on part to their bumpers. No hate against big corporation stuff, but I like TTs products

Pay more for a better product. If you’re going to Winching, don’t cheap out

I'm pretty sure the TJM is an add-on part to their bumpers. No hate against big corporation stuff, but I like TTs products

Ahhh I see now. It does show it as optional winch plate, which suggests it's an add-on.

So if I want hidden mount my options are fab my own or TT. I know TT makes great stuff, just wondering what was so different.
TJM fits their bumpers only. TT is for factory install.

Thanks!

Pay more for a better product. If you’re going to Winching, don’t cheap out
Nothing wrong with big companies dude, they had to do something right. But in this case, Jason is pursuing the niche.

I've got a trail tailor and love it--simple and beefy. I believe Asfir also makes one.

Last edited:
I have the TT. No problems at all! Easy install, bombproof, etc.. My impression with the TJM is that it is for use only with the bumper, although I never considered that it may be a stand alone item for mounting a winch. It sounds like a call/email to TJM to verify this.

I love @TRAIL TAILOR stuff - great quality, excellent communication and he supports the LC community.
Having said that - A few of us have run the TJM winch mount under the stock bumper with absolutely no-issues. It is beefy and have pulled my heavy ass up some steep hills over some large rocks. Here's what mine looked like (I bought it second hand from another member here!)

20191109_110718.jpg

20191109_114531.jpg

I am happy to send you more pictures or any other info if you like.

I love @TRAIL TAILOR stuff - great quality, excellent communication and he supports the LC community.
Having said that - A few of us have run the TJM winch mount under the stock bumper with absolutely no-issues. It is beefy and have pulled my heavy ass up some steep hills over some large rocks. Here's what mine looked like (I bought it second hand from another member here!)

View attachment 2341795

View attachment 2341796

I am happy to send you more pictures or any other info if you like.

This looks similar to "TJM 957MTT1781ZDS"

The tabs on the rear look bigger on yours than the ones from the photos of the model number above.

Also, the vertical brackets don't appear in their photos....I'm wondering if it's the same model...there's also no front lip on yours.

I'm gonna put in a call to TJM. I'm sure TT is very well built, but I can't justify spending over twice as much when there is possibly another alternative.
Edit: Thank you for the photos!

There was an extra plate that bolted in place between the main plate and the winch (the black plate) that had holes for mounting the fairlead (or Hawse lead).

20191109_110905.jpg

There was an extra plate that bolted in place between the main plate and the winch (the black plate) that had holes for mounting the fairlead (or Hawse lead).

View attachment 2341820
That exact setup, except probably metal line is what I'd like to go with.

Is that the TJM mount you bought?

That exact setup, except probably metal line is what I'd like to go with.

Is that the TJM mount you bought?
It looks very similar except mine also came with the two twisted metal bars that went from the "horn" of the frame rails to the front edge of the mounting plate.

Where was the fairlead in relation to the front bumper cover?
I had to cut the middle part of the steel bumper support bar behind the plastic cover and then cut a hole in the plastic cover for the fairlead.

20190614_151817.jpg

With a winch and this mount, would it be recommended to upgrade the stock TB's?

With a winch and this mount, would it be recommended to upgrade the stock TB's?
I did (I actually upgraded my TBs just because it made sense to buy a whole new Dobinsons set than do it piecemeal). Running the TT mount, which I think might be heavier than the TJM one, and a Comeup 12.5 with steel line.

Honestly not sure it was necessary--the extra 100-ish pounds this hangs on the front of your truck is at the very low end of what the beefier TBs are designed for, so you can get a pretty stiff ride, which happened to me.

I'd say install the mount and winch, crank (and maybe reindex) your stock TBs, and see how it rides. Jump to upgraded TBs if it's super saggy too soft.

I have a full ARB bullbar, winch, an ASFIR aluminum engine undershield and I am still running the Toyota LC torsion bars!

View attachment 2341820
So I just got off the phone with TJM. This winch mount is no longer in production. There is a NEW version that they have but it is for their T17 bumper only.
Apparently the version made to fit the T17 sits farther away from the body of the truck and there is not room. It does look similar to yours shown here, but it is a different design.

He said there was a fire years ago and they lost the CAD data to many of their products; some things didn't make the list to resurrect.

So, looks like I'm going with the HF option and fab my own stuff, or shell out for the TT product.

Im sure it's good stuff, but I don't know if I can justify spending that much when I can fabricate it myself.

Did you end up with HF route?

For anyone who owns a TT winch mount, what winches are you running that fit behind the oem bumper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom