TJM vs OEM front bumper value (1 Viewer)

TJM or new OE front bumper

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, after a minor love tap with another car a few days ago, I've got to repair some damage to the front end. Just cracked the bumper cover and slightly tweaked the fender, but at insurance rates that gives me choices; I can either have a shop fix it all like new or my other thought is to take the insurance money, massage the fender back into place myself (no paint damage or creases), and put it towards a steel bumper like a TJM T17 or possibly a Dissent.

Now, I do rough roads at least a handful of times per year but I haven't yet done any trails hard enough to really need bumpers. I've already got rock sliders and full ASFIR skid plates to take care of the belly. So part of me thinks a steel bumper would be a good investment just in case I'm ever doing trails that would have damaged a factory bumper anyway.

However, I'm curious what you all think would have the best effect on overall value in the future. I've been considering selling the Cruiser sometime since I've got two heavy SUVs (other is a Suburban 2500 with a small lift and 33s) and a newer minivan sure would be nice for non-towing, non-off-road duties.

If you were in the market, would you rather buy a 100 series with a factory front bumper or one that's already got a steel bumper, even if the steel bumper one cost a bit more? Is it even a factor?

Well, after a minor love tap with another car a few days ago, I've got to repair some damage to the front end. Just cracked the bumper cover and slightly tweaked the fender, but at insurance rates that gives me choices; I can either have a shop fix it all like new or my other thought is to take the insurance money, massage the fender back into place myself (no paint damage or creases), and put it towards a steel bumper like a TJM T17 or possibly a Dissent.

Now, I do rough roads at least a handful of times per year but I haven't yet done any trails hard enough to really need bumpers. I've already got rock sliders and full ASFIR skid plates to take care of the belly. So part of me thinks a steel bumper would be a good investment just in case I'm ever doing trails that would have damaged a factory bumper anyway.

However, I'm curious what you all think would have the best effect on overall value in the future. I've been considering selling the Cruiser sometime since I've got two heavy SUVs (other is a Suburban 2500 with a small lift and 33s) and a newer minivan sure would be nice for non-towing, non-off-road duties.

If you were in the market, would you rather buy a 100 series with a factory front bumper or one that's already got a steel bumper, even if the steel bumper one cost a bit more? Is it even a factor?
If I was in the market for a cruiser I would prefer one with a new bumper over one thats been damaged. It can add a bit of value to the car but not anywhere close to what the bumper will cost.

If I was in the market for a cruiser I would prefer one with a new bumper over one thats been damaged. It can add a bit of value to the car but not anywhere close to what the bumper will cost.
Would you look for one with a new OE bumper over one with a new steel high clearance bumper?

If you're actually selling, I'd buy it the way it is (no fix). Is this the 2004 you had planned on selling back in 2020? If so, please PM me as I am in the market.

Last edited:
Mods typically don't add value and can reduce value depending on the buyer. If you were buying a 100, would you prefer an untouched OEM one or one that was modified and you don't know how it was done? I'm not saying you didn't do a good job putting on your mods, but from the perspective of a buyer, it just add more unknowns.
On the other hand, as someone who is planning on keeping my 100 for a long time, I like the TJM bumper :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom