Title Transfer Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All first post so I'm not sure if this is the correct place,

I am thinking of purchasing a Florida FJ60 and I live in AZ. I have texted and face timed with the seller and I believe it to be a legitimate sale.
My question is what are the sequence of events that need to happen to protect the seller and the buyer in this situation. He has asked for a transfer of funds to his bank and will provide a bill of sale, but there is that uneasy duration between money transfer and transport pickup.
Any advice would be great even if it is to say I am an idiot for trying to purchase a vehicle sight unseen.

Wide

1- don't buy a rig from Florida
2-don't buy it sight unseen
3-if it doesn't feel right, run away
4-don't buy a rig from Florida
5-you live in AZ, find a nice clean rig there.
6-don't buy a rig sight unseen

And how!

You should be able to find a nice Southwest truck and save the travel expense and the anxiety of blind-faith.

Cashiers Check and then a trip to the sunshine state. If it's what the seller says it is, buy it, If not, go to the beach so it's not a wasted trip.

Who is the seller? If he's a reputable person that's know in the community that makes a difference.
Random dude, different rules.
Florida scares me like 3puppies

...yeah, but do you think he should buy it unseen...or from Florida?:)

At the very least, find a MUD member in Florida to check it out.
I had a customer here in Az that bought a 40 series sight unseen from Fla.
Turned out to be a disaster from Columbia. Looked alright from 50 yards away

There are a couple good cruiser shops there. Stoneys , Amazonia and The FJ Company. Maybe the seller will let them
give it a look over. Even if you have to give the shop a 100.00 bucks to do it, you'd be ahead.

All of this.

Never, Never, Never buy a vehicle with a bill of sale. A title is the only piece of paper that allows you legal ownership. Otherwise, you are buying parts. If you want to take a look at one closer, send me a PM, I have one for sale here in Reno.

Thank you for the advice. I think i have talked my wife (not currently working) into flying to Florida to make the purchase.
The LC was from Colorado and i have seen extensive pictures and video call to do a start up walk around.
I’m not worried about the condition of the LC i am worried about the transaction specifics and how i keep from getting screwed.

Wide

I was sort of in the same bind selling my cruiser. There's no 100% secure way for both parties to make the transaction if they don't meet face to face. There's no reliable escrow service for selling cars. Ultimately I sold it local so it was an easy transaction since the buyer came to see the truck, but I had several interested potential buyers waiting in line who were out of state.

The usual way an out of state sale works (with the least amount of risk) is the buyer flies out there to see the car and drive it back.

The next best option is the buyer procures a trusted agent/friend/friend of a friend, to examine and test driver he car for him. If the car passed muster, a check is sent and the seller ships the car to the buyer.
Still there is that element of trust. Feasibly, a scammer could take your money and run- not shipping the car. There is that small risk.

Nothing is going to happen without both parties trusting each other to some degree. There is risk involved with every sale. But if nobody trusted anyone, none of us could get anything done as a species and we'd all be living in fortresses with rifles in hand.

The least desirable option is buying the car without a test drive or hands on visual inspection if the seller provides an exhaustive video walkaround of every detail, good and bad. That is a gamble unless it's obvious the vehicle is in cherry condition.

Saying that, I did sell another car to a local buyer who did see it in person, but he didn't test drive it. It had very low miles and was in excellent condition. He gave me the cash and drove it away.... So it all depends

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom