Title/registration What is an FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to the diesel emission testing station today and was required to do a VIN check for local registration. The kid doing the test didn't know whether my 40 was a "passenger, SUV, or truck" under their given options. I wasn't going to say one way or the other, because it might actually change what level of emissions or taxation I fall under. So here's the rub though, I need to take this document down to the Colorado DMV and get my tag, title, etc. If it's wrong, it may jack me up down the road. Honestly, I really don't know what category it falls under....it's not a pickup, it's not a 4 door SUV, and it's really not a passenger car either. I guess it's just special.
Any colorado guys able to chime in on what their documents say for their 40?

Just tell them it is a Toyota Jeep....

:lol:

That is what NC calls it on my title as well... Just shows how dumb the DMV really is...

tez.JPG

California. When I bought my FJ40 it was registered as a Commercial Vehicle or truck. I had it switched to a passenger car and it went from almost $200/year to about $40.

CA DMV calls mine a station wagon...

I think you can register it as any of the 3. You may want to check and see if it is cheaper 1 way or the other, and like you say how it affects you emmisoins test.
I have collector plates on mine here in WI and you only have to buy those once and it dosen't make a difference if it is a truck, car or suv. Good Luck.

My Pennsylvania title classifies my 40 as a station wagon. The PO was from Colorado. I'll check out the old title and see what the classification was when it was titled there.

the older 40s in pa were station wagons ,could seat 7.when they went to buckets with 4 people they became sedans.i have 2 titled as trucks for some reason.i think the amount of seating determins what your title says good luck

My HJ45 pickup is listed as farm equipment because the clerk could not make sense of the Australian VIN and did not have the inspiration to pursue the issue. My gain though, because farm equipment is taxed at a much lower rate in Georgia. I ran for the parking lot before she changed her mind.
..........1978HJ45

In Texas, mine is titled as "2D" (two door I guess). Annual registration about the same as my other cars and trucks. No emissions testing. :)

listed as a Van in Alberta canada. not even close to a van, embarrassing

When I was in California my 40 was title under body type as mpv (multi-purpose-vehicle) . Here in Idaho it is listed as LL ..... NO clue what that's suppose to mean.

UT problably utility

My CO title...
Make = TOY
Body = UP
Model = LAN
Type = PAS

well here in Florida,the only state that we dont have to deal with emission stuff (maybe cos we dont have any Mountains):crybaby:...my 76 on the body type>JP Jump N Play its my best answer cos i will kill its means Jeep :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom