Wanted title for fj40/fj45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm looking to buy a title off a parted out truck. Willing to buy part of the frame or whatever it takes to make it legit.

So, it turns out I'm not going to be able to use the title from another rig to get my project legal. Because I have an aftermarket frame, CHP won't let that fly.

I'm guessing you're suggesting that I acquire a title, and then use that to get Vermont title. I might be able to do that in Montana too. In fact, I'm pretty sure I can do that in Montana (my son lives there). I have to think about that. That might work. If I ever get pulled over, there might be a problem, but that will be the least of my problems.

If you now a DMV service that will help me with a homemade vehicle, I'd love to hear it. I'm pretty confident we can get it titled in Montana and not have to deal with California. I don't expect to drive it on the road enough to get busted for out of state plates.

@workingdog ,

Regarding your original question, Jonathan Ward uses an aftermarket frame as well as aftermarket aluminum bodies and new current GM crate engines for his Icon Land Cruiser replicas. He cuts out and welds a small piece of an early Land Cruiser frame to his new frame and sells his new vehicle titled as the old Land Cruiser it "replaced." This manufacture is openly known and accepted by the Calif authorities at the highest level (not some DMV flunky or a random CHP patrolman) and the new vehicle sells for several hundred thousand dollars. I would expect this to be able to be sold, registered, and legally operated without challenge anywhere in the US, including California, and likely in many other countries.

Whether he found a loophole or has a friend in high places, while not exactly what you are creating, you might want to explore the specifics behind this avenue, before venturing down a slippery unknown slope.

1667443617589.jpeg
1667443617589.jpeg
One of their discards. Customer brought the vehicle to me for an inspection/potential purchase as a ranch vehicl, knowing he could never title it.

As the owner of a truck that was stolen and is still not recovered, conversations like this make me a bit angry. It's essentially telling everyone how to re-title a stolen vehicle.

I get it, it's not illegal to do this, I just hate that it's advertised on the largest Land Cruiser forum in the world.

As the owner of a truck that was stolen and is still not recovered, conversations like this make me a bit angry. It's essentially telling everyone how to re-title a stolen vehicle.

I get it, it's not illegal to do this, I just hate that it's advertised on the largest Land Cruiser forum in the world.
Sorry to hear, s***ty world. The DMV loophole doesn't work on stolen vehicles, you still need a vin to title it among a lot of other documentation just not a title. As for the frame stuff I have literally no clue what goes into that whole world... Hope you may find it one day

If you now a DMV service that will help me with a homemade vehicle, I'd love to hear it. I'm pretty confident we can get it titled in Montana and not have to deal with California. I don't expect to drive it on the road enough to get busted for out of state plates.

Won't get busted for anything just say you're visiting

I appreciate your response Phil. I get it. Know that there are ways to track down stolen trucks even in the worst cases.
I personally spearheaded the recovery of a 40 that was stolen from an employee of SOR …AND PUT ON A DIFFERENT FRAME!

I won’t publicly post how I did this. But it happened.😉

Won't get busted for anything just say you're visiting
That works up to the point when they want to identify him and they ask him for his license. Since I’m assuming he’s a resident of California (?) with a CA (?) drivers license the “I’m only visiting” wouldn’t fly.

If you could get a title from a state where CA doesn’t normally get the “questionable” titles from aka MT or VT then it might fly under the radar?!?!?

A big problem is the MT and VT title work around has widely become public knowledge. This is evident with all the YouTube videos discussing “how to”. There are other ways to do essentially the same thing in other states that are less known. This being a public forum I refuse to discuss them here as I don’t want to see the same thing happen to those other states.

I appreciate your response Phil. I get it. Know that there are ways to track down stolen trucks even in the worst cases.
I personally spearheaded the recovery of a 40 that was stolen from an employee of SOR …AND PUT ON A DIFFERENT FRAME!

I won’t publicly post how I did this. But it happened.😉
Interesting!

Last edited:
I realize you are still needing a title to get the ball rolling but I remember a conversation with another member about the ease of South Dakota vehicle registration. (maybe this doesn't help but I found it interesting from the CA side of emissions)

seems it would only take a pissed off neighbor to turn you in with out of state plates.
here you are supposed to transfer plates within 3 months of moving here, it rarely happens, and it would be a warning to get it taken care of.
not sure what would happen in the state that wants to ban gas vehicles.

I've got my son's address in Montana to work with. And I won't be driving around a lot. And - it's a total freak show, the plates will be the least of the issues.

Okay, I'm back on this. The VIN I got won't work because it didn't have a title. Montana has to have title. So, if you have a VIN with a title - PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom