Tires, planning ahead for winter... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know its still summer, but its a good time to get a deal on winter tires. I'm moving to Summit County, CO. You know breckenridge, keystone, A-basin, Copper mountain, so a whole lot of snow and snowboarding. I decided I want to get some studded tires because I legally can. However the options I see are either some bigger mud tires, 35x12.5 that a studdable. Those might be a little tippy for winter driving in the mountains plus wider tires aren't so good on snowy roads. Or some smaller metric sized tires 245/75 R16, those are about 30x8.5. The smaller tires will be cheaper, lower my center of gravity, be narrower, and give me a little bit better milage. Sounds pretty good right? But I have a 4 inch lift plus slightly longer shackles and I'm used to the look of the 33x9.5 tires I have now. I'm thinking the 30" tires will look pretty lame, but studs are fun. I guess I'm just looking for opinions or other studded options. :D

Yokahama make a geolander IT winter tire in a 315/75r16 (35") or a 285/75R16 (33") . They are equal or better than the bst blizzak .the new studdless technology is great

Some of my pals in NH would run studs into older sets of 34x9.5 Swamper TSL's. Worked great for them... I just used BFG AT/KO's when I lived in MA. Never had an issue with getting stuck. I lived at the end of a 1/4 mile dirt lane in a cabin. Drove out in 12" plus snow many times. Recovered the propane delivery truck once when the driver came too far into my driveway and couldn't climb back up the ice covered hill. Dragged the neighbors out a couple times too. :D

Nick

I'm in NH and I seem to get by just fine with bfg A/T's. So did a buddy of mine who lived in Jackson Hole for a few years. My new truck, however came with the lamest girly tires ever. Dunlop at20 I think. Still haven't replaced them yet, but boy do they suck. I've had a few trucks with 33x12.50 BFG A/T's that were fine in the snow. When I used to run muds in the same size they weren't anywhere near as good.

Why do you want to run studs? Summit County isn't the Iron Range, you'll have much more slush and fresh snow days then you will hard packed ice. IMHO as a life long Colorado resident, studs are not necessary. If you're running the 33X9.50 BFG A/T's. I seriously doubt you'll have any serious problems (as long your driving skills are up to par, and coming from MN, I'm assuming they are).

Also, since you're moving from MN, here's a winter tip: We turn our cars off when we leave them. ;)

Good luck with the move, and have fun up there.

I run the BFG 33x9.5 and I'm told that they do just fine in the snow and ice.

I always ran the Hakkapeliitta 10s on my cars... EXCELLENT TIRES!!! Well worth the funds but I'm not sure if they make them in larger sizes..

amandap said:
Thanks for posting a link!! I lost track of these folks and will be needing another set of tires before winter...best I've ever run for ice and snow!

http://high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html

Yes, I bought sets of these for winter tires on my Dodge 2500s. They stick like glue on slushed grass, iced roads, and in snow. Digginest tires I've ever had on a truck. Great tire at a great price.
Although I've got ltb 34x10.5s for one cruiser I'm considering maybe another set of these for my newest aquisition 40 series.

sonoranfun said:
I always ran the Hakkapeliitta 10s on my cars... EXCELLENT TIRES!!! Well worth the funds but I'm not sure if they make them in larger sizes..
265/75r16(31") is the largestsize they come in. The new hakkapeliita lt are also an exellent tire,they are the newer version of the hak 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom