TIRES - On Stock 16" Wheels - M416, M100, M101-CDN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What size, brand, and model tires are you running on your 1/4 Ton trailers on stock 16" wheels? Any issues? Rubbing when heavily loaded? Bias with tubes, radials, radials with tubes? Please post pics with your info!

Here is some size info I have compiled:

OEM M416 Wheels are 16 X 4.5 with 5 X 5.5 lug pattern

7.00-16. 30.5 X 8.?
7.50-16. 31.8 X 8.4
215-85-16. 30.4 X 8.5
225-85-16. 31.1 X 8.9
235-85-16. 31.7 X 9.3
225-95-16. 32.8 x 8.6

Last edited:
My M416 is still in original condition including wheels. Since I tow it with three different vehicles not much point in swapping the wheels so a common spare can be used.

I bought new 7.00 x 16 Firestone NDCC tires from Coker Tire. I doubt these tires have much to do with Firestone other than maybe the molds were surplus from Firestone.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styles/military-and-truck.html

285/75-16's on '94 Landcruiser rims on my SOA M101 CDN

I have found that these 16" tires are much too stiff for use in the trailer off-road. These are LT tires meant for 3/4 ton and one ton trucks. When aired down they do not off much sidewall flex and flotation and tend to bounce into the air off-road. I know from experience.

My solution was to just get some Jeep wheels and mount off road tires loadrange "C". Now, the tires air down nicely and the trailer tires stay on the ground in the most difficult of terrain.

I kept one stock wheel as a spare .

I have 235/85R16 tires on Land cruiser 16 inch rims on my M101 CND.

I changed out the hubs to match the cruiser 6 lug pattern. The tires do not rub, unless I insanely overload the trailer. Like full of gravel to the top. But it still handles it.

I used this size of tire as I wanted it to match my cruiser so one spare worked with the trailer too.. I don't tow it off road much right now. But will soon. Making it into camping trailer.

I ditched the period perfect NDT's that I bought from Miller Tire in Ohio after one disintegrated on I-20. As cool as they looked, I guess they weren't designed for actual highway mph's.
RoundUp2015_rc (150).JPG

I ended up getting these. They are LT tires load rated E, but have worked well for me. I haven't dragged it across too many offroad trails, but it gets my gear across state lines smoothly. I'm still running the tubes on these radials.
Goodyear Wrangler HT Tire - 215/85R16
M416_SJC3 (64).JPG

Great info Rick! Thanks

Wow Rick! Looks like you were able to get off the road safely and that's most important.

Wow Rick! Looks like you were able to get off the road safely and that's most important.
Actually didn't realize there was an issue until we stopped for gas. At the time, the section of I-20 between Vicksburg and Jackson, MS was horribly pot-holed and I'm sure that contributed to the failure as well. Luckily I know a tire guy in Jackson ;) He surmised a small air bubble between the carcass and the tread was worsened by the pot-holes until a big chunk blew out. It was still holding air (tubes).

235/85R16 KM2's on my original M101CDN wheels. Wouldn't change the setup.

Anyone running 7.50 X 16 tires? Any radials with all terrain or crossover (AT/MT) tread available?

I am wondering what advantage there is to an aggressive tire on a trailer. If the tires and wheels matched the truck i could see the benefit of having the spares. I also understand about airing down or preventing the bouncing, but tread wise, what advantage can there be? I am looking at something cheaper than BFG for my new to me M416

HH,

I’m looking for an aggressive tread to look correct on the trailer. Consider what it had originally.

Also could help minimize slipping sideways on slick trails.

I’m really hoping to find a radial 7.50 - 16 since it is the same height but an inch narrower than a 235-85-16.

Trailer will be pulled by many different trucks (40, 100, 200, etc) so consistent spares is impossible. I have mounted the spare underneath using an 80 spare lift and crossmember in front of the axle so tongue weight should never be an issue unless I load lots of weight behind the axle.

Last edited:
Definitely know a guy...

Just don’t want to go to him And say: find me a tire... His time is more valuable than that.

I would burn my house down with that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom