Tires on 20" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I've been mainly active on the 80 series forum and have only been a lurker here for my wife's 100 series. Question on tires. When we bought our 100, it came with after market 20" wheels. It's time for new tires. I've spent many hours looking through all the posts on options. I was not able to find what the largest size tire would be for a 20s. We currently have 275 55 20. Is that the largest that would fit? I'm also considering the Tundra 18 craigslist option as well and have researched that thoroughly. But, since this is my wife's car, and she likes the larger chrome wheels, I also want an idea of what I can put on if we keep these wheels. It's strictly a mall cruiser currently. I need to do some maintenance to it so weighing our options and keeping budget in mind I want to understand the different options available. Thanks!

And here is the picture.

LC Tire.jpg

If I may add to the OP and ask those who have 20" wheels, has it changed the overall ride comfort? I have a set of 20" in my garage I'm considering using, but would like to know how a larger wheel and relatively lower profile tire feel on the 100 series day to day and off road driving.

I can only comment on around town and I've driven on 20s and 16s and can't notice any difference, but I didn't think to pay attention to it. Nothing stood out as being much difference.

JayM sure looks good. He went with 305/55/20. I've checked the tire comparison chart, but wanted to confirm, would 275/60/20 also work for me?

I went form 16's on the rig I pictured to that setup and never noticed a difference much. Snow was great and it could handle mild offroad stuff. Airing down can be an issue with limited sidewall. Big issue really is lack of options for tires. Not many choices and the price for tires is spendy. I have run 275 on the 20's and they just don't look as good. In fact I have a set of the same wheels pictured with 275's Michelin ltx's on them sitting in the shop that I would part with.

Jay, would 275/60/20 also work? Terra Grapplers G2 are somewhat decently priced in that size. The 305s are WAY more. Thanks

Jay, would 275/60/20 also work? Terra Grapplers G2 are somewhat decently priced in that size. The 305s are WAY more. Thanks

I have not run that size but, it is 33 inch and should fit without issue in stock wheel offset. The wheel I pictured is a +50 offset 8 inch wide do you know what your wheel specs are? Running a 275/60/20 with a +20 offset would likely rub the fender liner down at the pinch weld and on the top outside middle edge under full compression. You can use a heat gun to reform the liner at the pinch weld and use your fingers to push the fender tab flat with the liner attached on top to take care of clearance issue. Long story short if your wheel is 9 inch or under and between +20 and +60 offset that tire will work. Good size choice in 20 inch rim.

Here is what I found on the wheels, previous owner left the invoice in the glove compartment. It says, 20 X 8.5 5-150 Kaotik Type 682 Medium Offset. I don't know what that means. :)

The 275/60r20 tire is likely an LT and will therefore be much lighter weight wise.

My wife runs a 34.5" ko2 on 20s and loves them. Only difference in wheel/tire size/weight increases on this forum is usually increased braking distance. Regardless of size these trucks have poor acceleration no matter what you run.

It worked fine for me when I ran Goodyear Wranglers in that size on OEM Toyota Tundra 20" wheels. Whether they work for you will depend on your rim's width and offset. If cumulatively similar to OEM, you should be fine.

Here is what I found on the wheels, previous owner left the invoice in the glove compartment. It says, 20 X 8.5 5-150 Kaotik Type 682 Medium Offset. I don't know what that means. :)

That wheel is called the Kaotik Fix they came as low as +15 offset. you can pull a wheel off and it may have the offset stamped on the wheel. A quick visual check is how far in is the outside of the wheel is from the outside edge of the fender. Is it tucked under or flush?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom