Tires for stock FJ40 wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I second the razr's. Moderately quiet compared to the overall drone of the drivetrain, and they look nice.
20210102_161704.jpg

I like the color of your wheels. What color will the body be?
Thanks, I had them powder coated.

Here's the truck before being disassembled, couldn't really get with the grey stock look. I think the white updated rims look a little more "modern" but still vintage. Also hoping the slightly wider rim reduces crowning of the tire.......

IMG_20180915_142036251.jpg

Last edited:
I’m running 33x10.5 on mine as well with stock wheels. Went with BFG Mud terrain. Had to go to a used tire shop it install it. The bigger corporate stores for the most part want do it as mentioned do to liability.

BFG MTs - 33x10.50 on stock springs - does just fine for the light duty she’s asked to perform 😉

152D980A-C1D1-4A5B-B93D-EC54C27AFBB1.jpeg

Are you fitting the 33s on stock springs without issue? Any added shackle height? I’m struggling t ok decide between 31s and 33s. I’m downsizing from 35s and want to make sure I fit in the garage when I’m put back together.

33” KM2s for about six years now with a 2” OME suspension. I run 1/4” generic spacers so I don’t hit the drag link when I’m turned full left. Other than that it’s been a great setup and I’ve been pleased with the rubber.

B3789B86-D495-482E-AF0E-F541751774A7.jpeg

Are you fitting the 33s on stock springs without issue? Any added shackle height? I’m struggling t ok decide between 31s and 33s. I’m downsizing from 35s and want to make sure I fit in the garage when I’m put back together.
I do have extended rear shackles (1.5 over stock) and of course the PO hacked the fender wells..... I’ve not had any issues with highway/light off-road use
Going from 35 down to 31 might be like losing your left nut! If you have an unmolested rear tub, might want to go with the 33s and a light suspension lift.....

Ha! I know. That’s why I’m struggling. I’m trying to make it though an unplanned rabbit hole frame off staying married while depleting the bank Acct. My main goal is street/light off road and the ability to fit in my garage (which the old set up didn’t allow with a top on). I’d like to build it back from the ground up but probably just need to put some rollers on to get it back together and see what I have room and money for.

I do have extended rear shackles (1.5 over stock) and of course the PO hacked the fender wells..... I’ve not had any issues with highway/light off-road use
Going from 35 down to 31 might be like losing your left nut! If you have an unmolested rear tub, might want to go with the 33s and a light suspension lift.....

My daily driver is a minivan, so even if I go with 31s I feel like I'm getting my left nut (really, it's both) back...LOL

Getting my 2" lift done this week, so need to begin deciding on the tires. I found a nice place that will do a media blast and powder coat on my wagon wheels...so that will be next and then slap on some shoes for her. I'm leaning toward the BGF MT, but those Razrs look nice.

With the 2" -- you guys think I should go with 33s or 31s?

My daily driver is a minivan, so even if I go with 31s I feel like I'm getting my left nut (really, it's both) back...LOL

Getting my 2" lift done this week, so need to begin deciding on the tires. I found a nice place that will do a media blast and powder coat on my wagon wheels...so that will be next and then slap on some shoes for her. I'm leaning toward the BGF MT, but those Razrs look nice.

With the 2" -- you guys think I should go with 33s or 31s?
33s

PXL_20210110_231733226.jpg

I went through the same back and forth for a couple of years. I finally chose the 33’s and am so glad I did. I just have a sagged 2.5inch liftand stock wheels. I was worried that I would not have enough oomph to pull mountain passes but can’t really tell the difference from the 31’s I previously had. The Previous owner did trim the rear fenders but I don’t think it’s necessary for a two inc lift.
63E32655-562F-4BB1-BA8E-25A499BFBB55.jpeg

Just got the 2” lift on my ‘82 - LOL the current 235/75/15s look so tiny.

next up is to get her on to some Jack stands and then go get the OEM wagon wheels power coated and then some tires mounted. I’m heavily leaning toward 33s - now just need to figure out the brand to go with.

Just got the 2” lift on my ‘82 - LOL the current 235/75/15s look so tiny.

next up is to get her on to some Jack stands and then go get the OEM wagon wheels power coated and then some tires mounted. I’m heavily leaning toward 33s - now just need to figure out the brand to go with.
Keep in mind that some 33's aren't 33's as advertised. Pretty close but some (BFG) run small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom