Tires for 1991 FJ80 with 15" Wheels and 2" OME Lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purcheased my 1st Land Cruiser yesterday and it needs new tires. It has the original 15" factory wheels and a 2" OME lift. The tires on it need to be replaced. I'd like something to fill out the wheel wells more. The vehicle will be used 75% on road and 25% gravel roads around the Linville Gorge area in NC. It is stock except for the lift and a few suspension upgrades and I'll probably keep it that way. It is a survivor with 250,000 miles but the engine was replaced with another F series motor that only has 80,000 miles on it.
I'm considering the BF Goodrich T/A K02' s in 33x10.5R15LT. Or should I go ahead and look for a set of later model 16" wheels now? Thanks!

33's look pretty decent on a 2 inch lift. 3FE isn't exactly a power house and going bigger than 33's may make it feel much more underpowered without re-gearing (from what I read). 15 or 16 inch rims - more personal preference. Going to 16" would allow you to swap to '93-'97 brake calipers if that is something you intend to do.

33's look pretty decent on a 2 inch lift. 3FE isn't exactly a power house and going bigger than 33's may make it feel much more underpowered without re-gearing (from what I read). 15 or 16 inch rims - more personal preference. Going to 16" would allow you to swap to '93-'97 brake calipers if that is something you intend to do.
Thanks proteolytic! I had not considered switching to the '93-'97 calipers. My brakes were recently refreshed.
Unless there are other benefits to switching to 16 wheels, I'm tempted to stick with my 15" with 33's.

There are more tires available for 16”c and heavier rated rubber, I think you only have like a “C” rating for 15’s and the “D” rated tires seem to perform differently at highway speeds sometimes. Some will say it noticeable others insignificant.

If you do go with the tires you mention you will probably still be happy.

You could probably go with trxus tires in a 34” and fill the well even better as well.

I just purcheased my 1st Land Cruiser yesterday and it needs new tires. It has the original 15" factory wheels and a 2" OME lift. The tires on it need to be replaced. I'd like something to fill out the wheel wells more. The vehicle will be used 75% on road and 25% gravel roads around the Linville Gorge area in NC. It is stock except for the lift and a few suspension upgrades and I'll probably keep it that way. It is a survivor with 250,000 miles but the engine was replaced with another F series motor that only has 80,000 miles on it.
I'm considering the BF Goodrich T/A K02' s in 33x10.5R15LT. Or should I go ahead and look for a set of later model 16" wheels now? Thanks!
Here’s a pic my 92 with 33s 12.5 and a 2.5 inch OME lift. Really like it, but will go from the 12.5 inch to the 10.5 when it gets new shoes. Tires are really a bit too wide for the wheels

0B033E31-8389-4969-B015-8D89D194FB53.jpeg

Here’s a pic my 92 with 33s 12.5 and a 2.5 inch OME lift. Really like it, but will go from the 12.5 inch to the 10.5 when it gets new shoes. Tires are really a bit too wide for the wheels

View attachment 2564231
Thanks Rex! Good looking rig! At this point I'm leaning towards exactly what you are planning when you need your new shoes.

I think 33x10.5 is the ideal size for a 1991.

Thanks Rex! Good looking rig! At this point I'm leaning towards exactly what you are planning when you need your new shoes.
You are gonna like it and (even with the increased resistance of the wider 12.5s) the performance drop with 33s is not that noticeable. The 3fe is always gonna be slow but dead reliable. Keeping it in tune and desmogging (if you location allows) are the best thing you can do for performance

When I bought my FJ80, the first thing I did was buy a set of third gen 4runner wheels. 16x8s all around wrapped with BFG AT 265/75r16s. Found the set of 5 wheels for $250 on my local Craigslist. Pic taken on an old nikon 35mm film camera

IMG_1401.jpg

When I bought my FJ80, the first thing I did was buy a set of third gen 4runner wheels. 16x8s all around wrapped with BFG AT 265/75r16s. Found the set of 5 wheels for $250 on my local Craigslist. Pic taken on an old nikon 35mm film camera

View attachment 2564718
Very nice! They do fill out the wheel wells perfectly IMO! Are spacers needed? Is yours lifted? And what years is the 3rd generation 4-runner? Thanks!!

I found this set of dealer take off wheels/tires nearby:
Brand new came off 2021 Tacoma rims and tires 17 inch. 265/65R17 Toyo Open Country 6 lugs 6X5.5 comes with lugs.
Can anyone tell me if they will fit mt 1991 FJ80 with a 2-2/12" OME heavy lift? Modifications needed?
00D0D_cmmlAmaFMn6z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Or are these going to be too much for this motor?

I found this set of dealer take off wheels/tires nearby:
Brand new came off 2021 Tacoma rims and tires 17 inch. 265/65R17 Toyo Open Country 6 lugs 6X5.5 comes with lugs.
Can anyone tell me if they will fit mt 1991 FJ80 with a 2-2/12" OME heavy lift? Modifications needed?View attachment 2564861
Or are these going to be too much for this motor?
Those are tiny they should fit stock height

That should fit just fine. Might sit a little bit inboard of the stock wheels, but not by much. That's basically a 30.5" tire, so it might not accomplish your goal of "filling out the wheel wells."

They will fit, but the center caps may not. Different hub styles.

They will fit, but the center caps may not. Different hub styles.
Thank you. It sounds like I'm better off with my original wheels and the BFG T/A K02 33x10.5R15LT's as far as fit and simplicity

View attachment 2564718
Thanks - Look great! Is your FJ80 lifted?

Thanks - Look great! Is your FJ80 lifted?
Sorry - I see your FJ 80 is not lifted.
Any suggestions for tires on my FJ80 with 2" lift if I can find a set of third gen 4runner wheels 16x8s?

Sorry - I see your FJ 80 is not lifted.
Any suggestions for tires on my FJ80 with 2" lift if I can find a set of third gen 4runner wheels 16x8s?
You can fit 33s stock and 35s with a 2" lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom