1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires...again

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by mtycruiser, Feb 26, 2004.

1. mtycruiser

mtycruiser

After reading a lot of comments and treads on tires, I decided to put the AT Revos 285/70/16 in my stock UZJ 100, to my surprise, they told me thae are not available now and will take some time before they get more from Japan.
    I use the LC as a daily driver with some off road on weekends, mostly on trails and rocky terrain.
    I've heard very good things about the BFG AT KO's and their off=road ability, but would appreciate some specific comments about their on road preformance mostly in dry and wet conditions, I'm not too worried about Texas winters.

2. Rogue

Rogue

They will work fine. Despite their ugliness, they are probably better offroad than the Revos ever could have been.

They will perform well on both dry and wet pavement due to the siping that they are built with. The PO of my truck had some for a few years and I kept them until I got MT/Rs. They are likely the best compromise tire available and will serve your wants well.

3. Sammy Jenkins

Sammy Jenkins

When I'm doing a 100mph on the Florida Turnpike in the LC I feel confident that my BFG AT's aren't going to give on me at anytime. When the rainy season comes around the tires still grip the roads very nicely. They are also very nice off road. Trust me, I push the tires to their limit and haven't had any complaints about them. Great tires, I would definetly recomend them to any one thinking about them. Good luck on your search.

4. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

They gotta be good if they come stock on the H2, right? Uh, yeah......

5. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Been using BFG A/T since 1993. Never a problem.

6. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Also - Have you tried other tire dealers or the internet for the Revo's?

7. floatinghat

floatinghat

do you mean 285/75/16? tire rack claims they have them in stock. I guess your dealer might be trying to sell you what they have.

andre

8. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I have the BFG ATs on 4 Cruisers, most recently the UZJ......on all of them I am very happy, the UZJ really is nice with the ATs....no more noise then before and handles better IMOP(looks alot better as well), in the mud I have gone into they work better than I would have thought. In the rain the are great!

9. G-Cat

G-Cat SILVER Star

Albums:
    My 97 FZJ runs the BFG 285/75R16 ATs. I live in North Texas. The tires make no more noise than the stock Mich. tires and DO handle better in ALL conditions. Of course, the damn Michs left me/wife/2 kids stranded in Kansas/in blizzard/on highway/as sitting duck for big trucks. :mad:

Hey we survived :D and I had 5 new tires the next day!! :cheers:

10. mtycruiser

mtycruiser

Thanks for your comments, as I said before, mu concern is (was) with highway driving particularly after they have been used for a while, I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard they become hard and tend to loose adhesion particularly in wet pavement.
    As far as the BFG AT's ability off road I've never had any doubts and the reviews and comments on the Revos are so good ( on road mostly ??? ) that I was wondering if it was worth the compromise.
    Any comments from Revos owners as far as their off road capabilities ???

11. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

Funny, the BFG's are difficult to get around here and the Revo's were in stock everywhere (and cheaper). So, I went with the Revo's. The tread width looks a bit narrow to me though--less than 9 inches across for a 285/75-16. I'll tell you how they perform in the snow after this weekend.

12. 410225

I just put REVO's on my LC, stock size. It is amazing tire. Traction, compound mixtures, looks, and mostly, very quite and comfortable driving on highway.
    I did talk to a guy at Tirerack, and he did mentioned about BFG AT KO's. Bottomline is, normal regular driving, go with REVO. BFG off road capability is legendary and REVO is very comparable to BFG.
    I am very satisfied with REVOs in performance and value.

13. Pitbull

Pitbull

Checkout some Toyo M-55's. Great looks, good for around 80K miles, "E" rated tires and they will give you a good ride. Most people don't know anything about this tire even tire dealers. Used a lot commercially in rock quaries etc.

14. ginericLC

ginericLC Wagon Wheeler! SILVER Star

Not to thread Hijack. I noticed somebody's reference to them coming stock on H2s. Has anybody noticed that the 35x12.50x17 (h2 spec) BFG ATs are really cheap. On ebay you can get a set of 4 for less than $400 usually. At discount tire I noticed they are selling them for $150 each with shipping. I've been considering moving to 17" rims on my 94 and the currently cheap BFG ATs have made me consider it even more. I've had 17 sets of BFG ATs and I think they are a decent value. They wear well and they handle most situations OK. The other advantage is they are readily available pretty much everywhere if you should ever have a problem.

15. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    dad runs 285/75/16 on his ford truck, he has 40k+ on them(he put em on the day he bought the truck) even with 40k he has no issues with performance in the rain.

Now I will say my fj60 came with BFG AT's they were 10+ years old and hard, traction sucked in the rain.......but they were really old, hard and tired.

16. floatinghat

floatinghat

I don't think you'll be "wrong" with either tire, as it has been said the Revo might has a slight edge on the pavement the A/T KO off pavement.

andre

17. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

I just switched from 285/75-16 Revo's to 295/75-16 BFG AT KO's and would like to share my initial thoughts. The tread width of the BFG's are about 3/4" wider and the diameter is about 1/2" taller. The BFG definitely looks more stout not too mention is has a 3 ply sidewall.

OEM rim/Revo combination weighed in at 75lbs each. Rim/BFG weighed in at 82lbs. On road, the REVO's are much quieter and ride more comfortably. Wet and snow performance is awesome. I believe the new technology in this tire really shows. After installing the BFG's, my LC is noticeably slower probably due to the extra weight, higher rolling resistance and slightly taller diameter. The BFG's also took more weight to balance. I have yet to take the BFG off-road, so I can't comment there yet.

18. Junk

Junk

I love the BFG AT/KO's on the street.

For trail though, get some Swampers!

19. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

My wife has BFG ATs as well as I. One thing I noticed was that after the intial balance I've had to have them rebalanced like a 100 or so miles later to get them running right. They seem to get a set to them just sitting around and not rolling. For this reason I've had to get extra rims to avoid the balancing issue. Even then when they first go on in the fall it takes some miles for them to smooth out again.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">