Tired of replacing windshields... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 200 windshields are tricky. When they come from the factory there are spacers to bring the glass out for a tight fit to the surrounding gasket. My installation guys said they don't use the spacers, they fill the gap with extra material that they use to seal it. I think this is the source of many poor aftermarket installations, I speak from experience, my problem was the wind noise. Find someone who knows and understands how it's done at the factory, spacers! Hope you get results somehow.

The 200 windshields are tricky. When they come from the factory there are spacers to bring the glass out for a tight fit to the surrounding gasket. My installation guys said they don't use the spacers, they fill the gap with extra material that they use to seal it. I think this is the source of many poor aftermarket installations, I speak from experience, my problem was the wind noise. Find someone who knows and understands how it's done at the factory, spacers! Hope you get results somehow.

Is that whats on my driver side in my photo?

Is that whats on my driver side in my photo?
I don't think so. The spacers are behind the glass in the frame and I'm not sure how many there are.

There are two and IIRC they only go on the body side of the panel, at the bottom.

My glass guy is as good as it gets without sending it back to Japan, and he didn’t use the spacers. He had the experience and attention to detail to make them redundant.. I even provided them and they weren’t used.

Point is, it’s ALL about the skill level and experience of the installer.

Verdict is in: impact damage both times.

If you look at my second photo and follow the crack, you can kinda/sorta spot the impact spot underneath the dusting of snow. My mistake for not clearing that off when looking at it initially.

Insurance adjustor also pulled up photos of my last windshield replacement and confirmed the same damage in nearly the same spot. This black stripe of the windshield is called the "frit" area, and both my impacts were in it, near the VIN. Very strange, to say the least.

Will be replacing the windshield in the next few weeks. Should this happen again, I'll be putting up cameras.

--

Has anyone heard of/seen products that can be applied to the windshield to minimize chance of cracks/damage? Like... a screen protector of sorts? Any other ideas? Rock deflectors on the hood?

There are two and IIRC they only go on the body side of the panel, at the bottom.

My glass guy is as good as it gets without sending it back to Japan, and he didn’t use the spacers. He had the experience and attention to detail to make them redundant.. I even provided them and they weren’t used.

Point is, it’s ALL about the skill level and experience of the installer.
Is this your guy?

Been trying to get in his schedule for several months. I think there is a shortage of 200 series glass out there. If that’s not your guy, I’d be happy to get your guy’s contact info :)

Is this your guy?

Been trying to get in his schedule for several months. I think there is a shortage of 200 series glass out there. If that’s not your guy, I’d be happy to get your guy’s contact info :)

That’s not him but I fully planned to drive up to DFW to use vdkar until my guy was recommended by berli’s.

It’s Noah from Calibrated Glass, and they don’t have much of a web presence. I’ll PM you his number.. posting publicly seems like an invite to spam him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom