Tired of Mushy brakes! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, I have read about others not happy with thier mush brakes on thier 80's. I would like to fix mine for good. People have put on braided lines, etc. What about putting in a mater cylinder from a later model? maybe a 100 series and the calipers too, why not.
any experience with this or other way of getting strong brakes from the 80?

Thanks
Kent

In your case the solution could simply be later 93+ 80 series brakes :)

livelarg,
I feel your pain. I am dealing with mushy brakes myself. I don't know of anybody installing a 100 series master cylinder. My guess is it will not work. The best thing to do would be to get rid of the rear drum brakes. The problem is nobody makes a rear disc conversion for the FJ80 because of the semi-floating axle.
How new are your pads/shoes? Have you adjusted the rear shoes?

The best bang for the buck will be new brakes all the way around (if you need them) and SS brake lines.

The permanent fix would be to replace the whole rear axle with a 93 or newer FZJ axle that has rear disc. If you can find one with a rear locker that would be a bonus. I actually went to the salvage yard last week in search of an axle but all the axles they had were junk.

Going off the cuff here, but IIRC the big difference between the 80 and 100 master cylinders are that one is hydraulically assisted while the other is electrically assisted. I seem to recall someone mentioning a Tacoma master cylinder that would work but i don't know if any thing ever came of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom