Tire vs Tire, help me pick.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Putting new tires on the 92 My pops just bought, nothing done to it, all stock. He told me 32x11.50s, so I found the cheapest on Ebay that looked worth a damn...

Tire A

Tire B

Which for a DD w/ reasonable off-roading in mind (sand, dirt roads, rocks, mud...in order of ammount of use)?

I was going to vote, but I personally would never buy a tire unless I knew who made them.

Maybe I listened to too many Michelin commercials....."your life is riding on your tires".

Not a place to cheap out in my mind.

Get BFG.... :)

Have to agree with Tarbe. I would not cheap out on tires with such a heavy truck. BFG or Dunlop MT's can be had for about that same price at Sams after you factor in the shipping on those tires.

Tires are a good thing to have local service on, what are you going to do when a coat hanger goes through the sidewall, mail the tire back? It's good to know with my Nittos I just pull into Discount Tire and they slap on a new one. This is a good case for supporting your local tire store! :D

went to sam's site, and got no results for 295/75 r15 within 100 miles

Go to the store and they will order them for you if available.

Tires are the most important piece of performance and safety equipment on your vehicle. Know what you buy.
Cheers,
Sean

Tires for 15" wheels typically are listed in non-metric, "flotation" sizes. Take a look at tires.com (Discount/America's Tire Co's website) for tires in the 32x11.5 R15 size for an idea of what's available for your dad's FJ80. tirerack.com is another site you can access (either to order tires from or just for information on what's available).

I prefer to go with a national/name brand. It's easier to get replacements, if necessary and it's a known item -- with known reliability. I don't like skimping on tires...

How many of the other mods you will do to your truck (bumpers, winch, sliders, tire carriers, roof racks, etc.) will you actually use EVERY INCH, EVERY DAY you drive?

Three things I don't skimp on: Shoes, Beds, Tires. I spend almost my entire life standing/laying/rolling on one of the them.

Tires are not an ebay item. Large and heavy and need to be installed, balanced and serviced locally. I say go with a national chain with a local outlet.

Whoa - 300 posts I need a timer to get me off the computer. :D

Glad to be of help. Which ones did he order? I don't know anybody who's used the Kumho MT's but I have used Kumho racing tires and they were very good for the $.

He plans on ordering the Dunlops, they looked nice, were cheap, had decent reviews, and a $50 mail in rebate. Thanks again..

I will say this about those no name tires, they do have interesting tread patterns. I sort of like the second one with the siping.

www.sandcruiser.com used Kuhmo MTs on their journey. I wheeled with them once and they seemed to work pretty well.

C6H12O6 said:
Three things I don't skimp on: Shoes, Beds, Tires. I spend almost my entire life standing/laying/rolling on one of the them.

I too live by this motto, but I also include my office chair, as that is truly where I spend most of my life...

C6H12O6 said:
How many of the other mods you will do to your truck (bumpers, winch, sliders, tire carriers, roof racks, etc.) will you actually use EVERY INCH, EVERY DAY you drive?

Never forget Brakes.

Kalawang

I don't wheel my cruiser at all. Only road and highway use. Came with Dunlop tires which had a nice ride and good grip, but were soft and wore out pretty quitckly. Swtiched to Michelin LTXs and the tire life went up dramatically. RIde is a little rougher, but seems to do well in snow, and a little less well in rain, as I think the rubber compound is harder and doesn't grip quite as well when wet.

I think the Michelins are lasting me over 30,000 miles per set. Maybe up into the mid to high 30s.

I would have agree that tires are not an ebay item.
Factor in shipping, mounting, balancing and you could probably due as well at a good local shop.
I put on 285/75/R16' Bridgestone Dueler AT's, not revo's the old ones.
Great all around tire. Expect your mpg to go down if you go up from stock 275's (32)
If I were into serious off road I would go BFG or swampers bias ply and get some smaller road tire to save on gas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom