Tire time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, its new tire time for the '85 HJ60.

I'm currently running 275/70/16's and recently put the old man emu 2" kit for diesels on the rig. Looking at some BFG KO2's and was debating sticking with the same size I have vs 265/75's instead to get some height. Doesn't seem like I can maintain the same width with the 16" options that are out there (unless I am mistaken) and don't really wanna go wider. I do imagine my fuel efficiency will go down and realize I may have to recalibrate the speedometer but wondering in terms of performance and ride quality if anyone been down this road before and can serve up some input. Thanks y'all.

On a 60 with 2" lift with 16" rims, you can run 245/75 (30+), 235/85, 265/75 (both 32) and even 255/85 and 285/75 (both 33).

It is all depend of your "power loss" tolerance by increasing the tire size diameter.

As for the speedo calibration, there is no easy way to manage it since it is a cable/mecanical speedo. Do the math in your head while driving, use a GPS or a App on your smart phone. Many of us live with that. I run 285/75 and use to run 255/85 and the speedo is +/-10% off.

Last edited:
Not sure what the stock gearing is in an HJ60, but my '85 FJ60 is on 255/85/16s (~33") with the stock 3.73 gears.

My observations, like many on here, relevant to stock gears and a 4-speed -

For around town driving the 33s are OK but not great. First gear starts feel like 2nd. Common around town speed targets like 25mph are often out of your RPM sweet spot. Steep hill starts in 2wd are more work.

On the highway, the added size is great - RPMs are down and long stretches at 65-75mph are a lot more tolerable. This makes a big difference in a big state with long drives to get anywhere good.

Off road, in 4H or L, not an issue for most situations you'd get into with 33s.

As @David*BJ70 says above, it's all about your personal tolerance. And rather than recalibrating anything, just use a GPS or do the 10% math, easy enough on the fly.

Not sure what the stock gearing is in an HJ60, .

HJ60 w/5spd is 3.73 and can easily move any size but the HJ60 with auto trans is a dog even with the stock 4.10 ratio and stock tire size (29) :rolleyes:

With 265/75 r16 and 4.1s the speedo should be accurate. At least mine was. And they won't rub even without a lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom