Tire thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would start a tire thread for us to contribute to with thoughts and pics of tire purchases etc...

I picked this up today. It's a hercules mud terrain 33x12.5x15. Was just under $190 mounted and balanced. Has pretty good reviews as long as you don't wheel religiously like myself. Seen a couple complaints about side walls.

1432133828165.jpg

Put a set of 33x10.50-15 Bfg Km2's on a few months ago. I'm a big Nitto fan but Bfg was the only one that made a tire in this size. Haven't been off the pavement yet so no real review but it's a Bfg so I expect it to be a pretty good tire.

Put a set of 33x10.50-15 Bfg Km2's on a few months ago. I'm a big Nitto fan but Bfg was the only one that made a tire in this size. Haven't been off the pavement yet so no real review but it's a Bfg so I expect it to be a pretty good tire.

Beautiful patina on that Jeep!

THE Gateway Buckshot Wide Mudder P78-16 , basically a 33x9.50-16 bias ply. I haven't tested these anywhere, yet, but boy they look nasty!

IMG_4017.JPG

IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_3756.jpg

EDIT: Price was $725 shipped for 4 tires from NTW; wheels are Wheel Vintiques, 16x7, $390 shipped from Summit

Last edited:
I've had two sets of KM2s and I've been pretty happy with performance. I'm down to about 1/4 of center tread on the second set and my only complaint is they do get noisy when they are nearing end of life. But handle well on road, especially in wet weather compared to the old KM1s which we have on the G-Wagoneer.

When I put new tires on later this summer, I'm going to dial back and go with the new A/T KO2s. They are about $120 cheaper per tire than the KM2s of the same size and I hope to get more life out of them. I'm getting about 40K miles on the KM2s.

new KO2
ATKO2-5.jpg

$120 cheaper per tire! Yikes!

Yeah, KM2s (well tires in general) keep climbing in price. I bought the last 4 tires for what the first set cost me to get 4 + 1 new spare and that was just 2.5 years earlier. On my second set I just kept the best two of my old tires to save as spares. I'm using one now.

I am also looking at the KO2s for Heather's truck in a 35". I've had the original AT as well as the original KM and the KM2 and been happy with them so willing to give them a shot.

I would have bought Duratracs last time, but they were on national backorder, so I got the KM2s again instead. I've heard really good things about the KO2s lately and coincidentally heard the Duratracs don't have great sidewall durability.

Regarding Tire/Road noise... I used to run BFG MTs on a truck I had. if you run lower tire pressures, the tires are much louder. If you are getting a lot of road noise, you may want to try to increase the PSI a bit to see if they quiet down any.

The BFG ATs I am running on my current truck are load range E... DOH! They are rated for up to 80 PSI. I have run them as high as 65 PSI but I find 50 PSI to be the sweet spot for noise and ride comfort. Anything over 50 PSI gets a little stiff....

I put a pair of Duratrac on the rear of my work van. Traction is pretty good. which is what I was after, but they seem to be wearing fast.
They have about 12,000 mi. now and the wear is very noticable. They are also load
range E, so they aren't being overloaded. I run them at 65psi, any more sounds like there is no suspension at al.
The 35,s on my 62 are wearing a little bit after about 15,000 mi.
Love them, but they do have some noise. I run them at 32psi (max 35)
and have wheeled them a good bit.

I've averaged over 60k miles on every set of KO1's I've had. My current set is pushing 70k and I still got some tread left. I've looked around but for the mileage I drive annually, I can't afford a tire I Will get less than 60k out of. I will be putting a set of KO2's on as well later this year.

Duratracs are the best AT I have ever owned...better than BFGs, but they do wear faster. BFGs are too hard (longer miles) but Duratracs being softer, do get better performance offroad. I would say if you want a high mileage, part time offroad tire, the BFG is better. If you do lower street miles like me, and you want max offroad from an AT, the Duratracs are money.

Now, on the MT side. I had Iroks on the 80 and they were awesome. I just put new Irok NDs on it, and they are quite good. I had some issues with cleaning at Beasley (who doesnt) but I was at too high a pressure (19 lbs). The sidewalls barely flexed. I think I could run them at 12 and not worry about losing a bead (no beadlocks). Will have to play with it. An 80 not flexing a sidewall at 19 lbs is a pretty amazing statement for the sidewalls on those tires! Not a budget tire though...cha ching!

fair enough! especially with what you said on price...but the BFG wont be as good in mud, no need to wait to say that...not enough change in lug pattern.

I can back Rick up on the GMP debacle that day. Literally couldn't tell a difference in traction on me running Duratracs, the guys running MTRs, and the guys running KM2s. I had a set of 285/75/16 Duratracs on my FJ Cruiser and they had about 40000 miles on them when I sold it. They still had another 15000 left at least (load range E). I have 315/75/16 Duratracs on My 80 now with about 20000 miles on them and I don't see them lasting past 40000. Granted, they have been wheeled a lot harder than my previous set. Another thing I noticed on the 80, is that once I get down in the 15 PSI range, they roll the bead pretty regularly.

This happened a few weeks ago for the fourth or fifth time at GSMTR. It was a mess, my power steering pump exploded and when the steering wheel spun out of my hand my front passenger rolled off the bead and pack the tire with mud. I was able to get it reset, though.

The Duratracs are also chunking pretty bad now on the treadblocks. I need to decide what I want to do for my next set. I kind of want to try the MTRs for a change.

The duratracs are not a hard wheeling tire (I wouldnt run them on a heavy truck at 15psi). They dont compare to a super swamper or bulldog for example. Probably also explains some of the chunking (heavy truck, low psi offroad, then taking them on road).

I dunno! I just know I have REALLY loved the Duratracs with ATRAC (another factor). I am interested in the BGF KO2s (AT), as well as the MT tread to see how the new gens compare.

A-Trac is the only way I roll. I used my locker once in the last year - at the Round Up - and it was because both front wheels were off the ground, as I was slightly high-centered with only rear wheels touching the granite. Engaged rear locker, crawled far enough to get front wheels back on ground and locker off.

If I had been in the same situation in mud, then I would have just pulled line. But, on dry, grippy rock, the locker was the right call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom