Tire size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some suggestions. I have a FJ40, 2f, PS, front disk conv., 10 pt full cage, with stocker tires that look stupid.

The next year will include 4 inch lift BDS lift, 5 pt harnesses, new clutch, and a repaint. I wanted to double check my plan. I am thinking BFG 33 9.5 15's tires on stock FJ60 chrome rims. This is a light trail duty rig. Probably 80% street to take the kids out for a ice cream, 10% logging roads, 10% trails (some heavy trails). FYI- I know that I am not going spring over. Too hard core for my needs and it would concern me if my wife ever wanted to drive it.

I know I may have to trim the rear fenders a bit and add flares.

Will 33/9.5/15's fit after slight trimming stock? That way I can add the lift next year as I need tires now... Any other tips?

Those are the same tires I am running for the last 4 monthes. I don't have power steering and thats why I picked the 9.5" lift. With a 4 inch lift you could go larger if thats what you want. I am real happy with the 33" BFG's - Ken

ken- you run those tires with no lift? Stock height? Any rubs or damage to the sheet metal?

Thanks

Aaron

for heavy trails bigger is better for G-c. Although for low-end a 33 works better than 35's i have heard..........i htink i am going with 33's for best low-end response cause thats where you need it imo!

You should be fine with that set up, and probably will not have to trim anything, especially if you chose to re-drill the rear axle perch, and move the rear axle back an inch or so, it will center the wheel/axle in the opening and make it not rub for sure.

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=FJ55partsBoise link=board=1;threadid=9561;start=msg83768#msg83768 date=1073097855]
ken- you run those tires with no lift? Stock height? Any rubs or damage to the sheet metal?

Thanks

Aaron
[/quote]

My wheel wheels have been cut with the Bushwaker fenders installed. No real lift to speak of and I have seen no rubbing. If your wheel wells are not cut, you will get rubbing. I do plan on installing a lift in the next couple of months.

33s and +4 works great. Been running that way for years now and it is a good combo for DD or trail rig.

i am running 32x11.50 and i have a 2" shackle lift and i have no rubs

82 fj40, stock spings, 33x9.5 on fj60 wheels(which were an option on 81-3 fj40)
28497527.jpg

28518500.jpg

82 fj40, OME 2.5", 33x9.5 on stock fj40 wheels.
31617497.jpg

32483799.jpg

Pimp, just got my 33-9.5's mounted and on this morning, you running 50psi? I don't know how the tires will work out in the future, but after taking my cruiser for a spin I don't think PS is such a big deal, and I'm not going to worry about adding it, I've drove alot of older vehicles with PS that steered harder than this. One draw back to my 33's, cruiser don't fit in the damn garage now.

I'm about to get these same 33 x9.5 tires, but I just saw bfg has 33 10.5 and they are about $20 cheaper per tire. Think I'll tun into any issues? I have 31x10.5's now. 2 1/2" lift. Just put new planels on and really don't want to cut them. Looks like Landpimps Greenie is the same setup though and it looks great.

[quote author=folsom50 link=board=1;threadid=9561;start=msg84007#msg84007 date=1073155324]
Pimp, just got my 33-9.5's mounted and on this morning, you running 50psi? I don't know how the tires will work out in the future, but after taking my cruiser for a spin I don't think PS is such a big deal, and I'm not going to worry about adding it, I've drove alot of older vehicles with PS that steered harder than this. One draw back to my 33's, cruiser don't fit in the damn garage now.
[/quote]

I run 30lbs (ish) in all(3 of em) my Cruisers with 33x9.5s I find this works the best for me at least.

No you can surely live without PS.......but OEM PS is so dang nice, well worth the $$$$ even if running tall skinny's, turning with one finger is REAL nice, the OEM PS is more of a power asist, nothing like saginaw, OEM still has a good feel about it. I like it enough on my green 82 that I'm doing the same set up on the mustard stock 82............and it will make it easier for Connie to drive(I bought it for her....sorta), her shoulder is still screwed up from getting hit in the fj62 last year :(

As to 33x10.5's, personaly I think the 10.5 is too wide for a stock 5.5 or 6" wheel. Also(and I'm guessing here) I think even on my green OME"s 40 the 33x10.5 "might" hit the rear fenders and I'm pretty sure they will stick out past the fender a bit(not much)

John

the tire shops here in Boise, ID will not install 10.5 inch tires on the stock FJ60 chrome rims. Just an FYI. I personally don't care for aftermarket wheels. I want stock cruiser wheels so I am now shopping the best deal for 33 9.5 15 I can find.

Anyone get tires with a road hazard (trail hazard) warranty? Big O has a decent deal $650 for 4 with rh warranty.

I ordered my tires through Sam's club, $484 for 4 BFG AT's. I just had to drive 75 miles to pick them up (closest sam's.) I turned down the RH warranty just because of the light trial use the'll see and I won't rack up that many miles a year on my cruiser.

[quote author=folsom50 link=board=1;threadid=9561;start=msg84123#msg84123 date=1073174663]
I ordered my tires through Sam's club, $484 for 4 BFG AT's. I just had to drive 75 miles to pick them up (closest sam's.) I turned down the RH warranty just because of the light trial use the'll see and I won't rack up that many miles a year on my cruiser.
[/quote]

What size were those?

Oh and Pimp, thanks for posting pics of your trucks again, now I'm only a little more depressed since the last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom