Tire Size question - Keep 16 or move up to 18 for mild Off-roading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Strictly from a look standpoint, I went to newer 100 series LC 18s. I think it really made the truck look newer. I've seen some folks use 20 inch tundra wheels and they just looked a little off imo

One other thing to consider is availability of obtaining replacement tires in more remote locations. 16" and 18" are far easier to come by than 17" when in areas where major tire dealers aren't located i.e. no DiscountTire or NTB nearby. For me, that meant 275/70/18 which are almost always found in any tire shop. If you do a LOT of overlanding, this could be a major consideration.

Guys, note that the OP says “mild off-roading.” No point in getting into what’s best for overlanding or really technical trail running, since that’s not at issue here. Since he mostly drives on pavement 18s are going to be a better choice in terms of daily driving comfort/handling, and they’re fine for moderate off-roading. The down sides are mainly financial - the cost of five new wheels and the fact that, as others have noted, 18s are typically more expensive than a similarly sized 16. Apart from that the only decision is about aesthetics. Some people like the look of 16s with big beefy tires; some prefer the look of 18s (or god forbid 20s).

Gentlemen, I appreciate your responses. Got a lot of though that were running in my head cleared out. I think I was going to go to 18'' cause it didnt cause to much of an issue and the 18'' were not much difference in price. But I have no issue keeping 16" at all especially if they are cheaper and better for off-roading. The decision is made 16's it is. I appreciate the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom