Tire size on stock burfeild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering up to what size tire can the stock birfeild joints handle. i beleive i was told up to 35 inch, or is 33s a better choice. i am looking into lift and new tires but dont want to upgrade birfeilds yet. i drive about 75% street and 25% off road if that helps. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

54" Michelin if you have a light foot...........30" tires have broken several axles if a lead foot is involved...
:cheers:

Your only possible option is to go with volvo portals. It is the onle axle that willl match your power band.... :flipoff2: Any and all bierfs will break. They will break more often with big tires. They will break all the time with big tires and a SBC.

Longs are a great investment....especially since every axle break I've had also trashed the inner axle...

I busted 3 stock birfs and 2 newfields with 33" tires. I know people who have broke with 31's. Driving style and knowing when they will break is the only "safe" option...or upgrading to something more or less unbreakable...lol

It is all in the right foot and wether or not you run a locker in the front. On my trail rig I'm running 35s with stock birfs and open diff up front. It sees more boulder washes and rockcrawling than it does hiway. I have a couple spare birfs but haven't needed them yet. Others have broken in my tracks. Can you say finesse. Like woody says "driving style".

the weakest point when you are at full lock to one side. Just making sure

[quote author=cali-cruiser link=board=1;threadid=9297;start=msg81400#msg81400 date=1072682986]
the weakest point when you are at full lock to one side. Just making sure
[/quote]

100% agreed - and worse when backing up....Longfields have been my cure tho, I've driven my 38.5 tires HARD at full lock, the tires skipping on a rock and deflecting damn near to the rim, and the longs held. Hell, I even had one trip this past fall where I WANTED to bust them, and ended up shearing the 6 lockout studs/2 pins instead....even my stock inners held up.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=9297;start=msg81441#msg81441 date=1072702198]
...had one trip this past fall where I WANTED to bust them, and ended up shearing the 6 lockout studs/2 pins instead...
[/quote]

WOODY, You're an animal :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom