Tire Size confirmation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I have spent most of today researching wheel tire options for my newly acquired ‘07 LX470 and I am more confused with sizing than when I started. My LX came with mismatched tires with 2 of them more than 6 years old so I am defiantly in the market for new rubber. I was also looking for new wheels but I have decided to have the stock 18s refinished and replace the tires. I have read numerous posts here, including the FAQ stating the largest size 18 inch tire that can be used without issue is the 286/65 but I have also seen claims of larger sizes having no issues as well; hence my confusion & uncertainty.

The setup I am now favoring is the stock 18s with Michelin Defender LTX 275/70/18 with the Slee 1.25” spacers. I was also looking to do a 5 wheel rotation so I am looking for confirmation that spare will also fit within the under-bumber hitch.

Thanks for any help.

285/65R18 = 32.5 inches, wider by 10mm vs 275s
275/70R18 = 33.3 inches, taller than 285s

Both will clear your factory set AHC/non-AHC 2007 w/o any issues on your factory 18x8 offset +60mm wheels. 285/60 or 275/70 will 100% fit on your factory spare tire location.

OK, I have spent most of today researching wheel tire options for my newly acquired ‘07 LX470 and I am more confused with sizing than when I started. My LX came with mismatched tires with 2 of them more than 6 years old so I am defiantly in the market for new rubber. I was also looking for new wheels but I have decided to have the stock 18s refinished and replace the tires. I have read numerous posts here, including the FAQ stating the largest size 18 inch tire that can be used without issue is the 286/65 but I have also seen claims of larger sizes having no issues as well; hence my confusion & uncertainty.

The setup I am now favoring is the stock 18s with Michelin Defender LTX 275/70/18 with the Slee 1.25” spacers. I was also looking to do a 5 wheel rotation so I am looking for confirmation that spare will also fit within the under-bumber hitch.

Thanks for any help.
Either 285/65R18, or 275/70R18 will fit on stock wheels, without spacers.

Why spacers, and what’s a “bumber”?

Thanks for the help from everyone. I completed the wheel refurbishment & installed new tires. Very happy with the results. The setup is 275/70R18 Michelin LTX A/T2 on stock 18" x 8" wheels with Spidertrax 1.25" spacers at all 4 corners. Spare tire fits and no rubbing detected.

Side.jpg
Side rear.jpg
Side front.jpg
New AHC Hi.jpg

Looks good, and thanks for posting all this. Great info as I want to upsize again at some point. For reference, here's tire diameters and tread width for Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I didn't use the LTX A/T2 because they don't come in OEM size, but in other sizes their diameter is the same per Tire Rack:
1. OEM size per door label 275/60/18 is 30.9" tall.
2. A little bigger (what I currently have in LTX M/S) 275/65/18 is 32.1" tall.
3. 275/70/18 ("max size on OEM 18* rim w/o rubbing" per MUD) is 33.2" tall.

I've had LTX A/T2 previously, and my last two sets on our LX 470 have been LTX M/S. They're all great all around tires if you're mostly on the road and I have them on our LX and two 2WD 4Runners. They're what I would use again if I wasn't planning on transitioning the LX for more offroad fun. I'll probably get KO2's next as I'm not sure how well the LTXs would fare in the rocks of Death Valley and Panamint Valley.

Those wheels look great! What did you do to refurbish them?
Thanks for compliment. The wheels were professionally sandblasted and powder coated by a shop on the north side of Houston at $160/wheel x 5 wheels. Not cheap but they duplicated the OEM shade of silver very well.

Looks good, and thanks for posting all this. Great info as I want to upsize again at some point. For reference, here's tire diameters and tread width for Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I didn't use the LTX A/T2 because they don't come in OEM size, but in other sizes their diameter is the same per Tire Rack:
1. OEM size per door label 275/60/18 is 30.9" tall.
2. A little bigger (what I currently have in LTX M/S) 275/65/18 is 32.1" tall.
3. 275/70/18 ("max size on OEM 18* rim w/o rubbing" per MUD) is 33.2" tall.

I've had LTX A/T2 previously, and my last two sets on our LX 470 have been LTX M/S. They're all great all around tires if you're mostly on the road and I have them on our LX and two 2WD 4Runners. They're what I would use again if I wasn't planning on transitioning the LX for more offroad fun. I'll probably get KO2's next as I'm not sure how well the LTXs would fare in the rocks of Death Valley and Panamint Valley.
I was contemplating back and forth between the Defender M&S and the A/T2 but ultimately went with the slightly more aggressive A/T2. My off-road needs are minimal and either choice would have been capable. It came down to aesthetics; I didn't want it to look like an accountant's truck even if it is ;).

*Update on rubbing*

I have heard/felt some very minor rubbing when turning at full lock on slow-speed off-camber turns. I have been unable see where the rubbing is yet since no markings are left behind. I suspect the added 1.25" spacers may the reason. I wanted to get this out there in case anyone else was looking at this same setup and was concerned about potential rubbing. Eliminating the spacers or downsizing the tires to 285/65R18 may be needed unless you are careful and willing to live with it (my likely choice).

*Update on rubbing*

I have heard/felt some very minor rubbing when turning at full lock on slow-speed off-camber turns. I have been unable see where the rubbing is yet since no markings are left behind. I suspect the added 1.25" spacers may the reason. I wanted to get this out there in case anyone else was looking at this same setup and was concerned about potential rubbing. Eliminating the spacers or downsizing the tires to 285/65R18 may be needed unless you are careful and willing to live with it (my likely choice).
Maybe the reason for the earlier comments? 😁

Surprise!

Both will clear your factory set AHC/non-AHC 2007 w/o any issues on your factory 18x8 offset +60mm wheels.

Either 285/65R18, or 275/70R18 will fit on stock wheels, without spacers.

Last edited:
I have 275/70r18 BFG MTs w/ 1.25 spacers. I’ve run this combo forever. There was a little plastic flair thing that stuck out from the frame towards the front of the vehicle. I think that got torn off on my first test trip with the MTs and spacers. I don’t even know what it was there for or why I hadn’t removed it when I put in my skid plates. Take a look and see if that’s what’s catching. Once that was gone, there’s been zero issue. Except the issue of always wanting to go bigger!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom