Tire Size and brand selection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tire Questions! 2007 LX470
(Sorry about the long write up)

I have a 2" suspension lift and will be making a lot of trips to Northern New Hampshire for Snowboarding and visiting family in Canada (Once the border opens of course). So it's mostly highway and I would like to do some mild offroading /overloading in the Summer.

Question#1
I'm bumping up from the stock size of 275 60 18(31") to 275 70 18(33.2"). This is a safe number and I believe it will fit the spare underneath without issues. (Based on reading through ih8mud and UJZ100 posts) I am curious to know if I can go a bit higher to 285 70 18 (33.7") without it being a problem to fit the spare underneath. I want to keep the trailer hitch. Highway handling takes higher priority.

Please advise on Tire Size
1. 275 70 18 (33.2")
2. 285 70 18 (33.7")
3. 285 65 18 (32.6")

I did a bunch of research before deciding on Falken Wildpeak. It does better in snow and is quieter and looks nice. Toyo Open Country AT3 was the close second. Also considering Michelin Defender LTX since 85% of my driving would be on the highway.

Please advise on Tire brand
1. Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
2. Toyo Open Country AT3
3. Michelin Defender LTX

Question#2 (Optional)
What is the common way to recalibrate the speedometer since there will be a difference 2-5mph difference now. I know it's probably not a big deal and most car manufacturers have a tolerance here anyway but I'm just curious to know if there is a DIY solution for this.

275 70 18.png

285 65 18.png

285 70 18.png

Those Wildpeaks get great reviews, so you’re 1 step closer to a decision.

Tire size is a matter or compromises. You’re trading aesthetics for worse mileage, speedometer error, longer braking distances, slower acceleration, and possibly additional wear. ATs will also be louder on the highway, but will give you better traction off-road and likely in snow as well.

Once you get past 285/65 R18s, you may find you have problems using your trailer hitch with the spare mounted and fully inflated.

In summary, how much on-road performance are you willing to sacrifice for looks and off-road traction?

If you're considering the Falken, don't over look the 265/70r18. Comes in at 32.9".
I did not think about going down on the tire width. It would actually improve snow handling and possibly increase mpg. Anything else I'd compromise by going to 265/70?
Now I am reevaluating the sizes again!!

Last edited:
Those Wildpeaks get great reviews, so you’re 1 step closer to a decision.

Tire size is a matter or compromises. You’re trading aesthetics for worse mileage, speedometer error, longer braking distances, slower acceleration, and possibly additional wear. ATs will also be louder on the highway, but will give you better traction off-road and likely in snow as well.

Once you get past 285/65 R18s, you may find you have problems using your trailer hitch with the spare mounted and fully inflated.

In summary, how much on-road performance are you willing to sacrifice for looks and off-road traction?

Thanks. I'm definitely just getting started with this overlanding and offroading trend. Not so much priority for looks but Highway handling, safety and comfort takes higher priority. I'm actually considering 265/70/18 now from @MounteenerLC's advice.

I did not think about going down on the tire width. It would actually improve snow handling and possibly increase mpg. Anything else I'd compromise by going to 265/70?
Now I am reevaluating the sizes again!!

Lots of folks, including some very knowledgeable ones, believe that a tall narrow tire is generally a better performer than a wide tire. I won't get into the specifics, but the general arguments make sense. I think the only "negative" of going narrower is that a lot of people prefer the look of a wider tire these days. I'd give the 265/70 a lot of consideration if I had 18's instead of 16's.

I have the Wildpeaks on our FJC and like them a lot. They've handled rocky trails, and mud well and they aren't that loud at all.

275/70/18 is perfect size for you, thats what im running on my stock LX. Im a tried and true fan of KO2s and always recommend them, I have heard good things about the falkens though.

Opening up an older thread, but currently looking at these exact tires and in this size range on my '04 LX. Long story short had to buy Cooper STT PRO MTs 275/70/18 during COVID and while they look bad a$$ and are tough as nails, daily driving them sucks... Also concur on not fitting great in the factory spare location.

I plan on keeping them on the OEM wheels, so after reading this thread I may take a look at the 265 option!

Opening up an older thread, but currently looking at these exact tires and in this size range on my '04 LX. Long story short had to buy Cooper STT PRO MTs 275/70/18 during COVID and while they look bad a$$ and are tough as nails, daily driving them sucks... Also concur on not fitting great in the factory spare location.

I plan on keeping them on the OEM wheels, so after reading this thread I may take a look at the 265 option!
Perhaps you should say why they don't work for you. If they are too loud the Michelin's are your best bet, not good enough in snow, the AT3Ws or Toyos, if they run too rough, don't get E rated, if there is too much impact to braking, or acceleration, look for whatever the lightest weight tire, etc. As far as the spare location, I don't think a bit of deflation should be a problem, just carry a small compressor if needed.

Perhaps you should say why they don't work for you. If they are too loud the Michelin's are your best bet, not good enough in snow, the AT3Ws or Toyos, if they run too rough, don't get E rated, if there is too much impact to braking, or acceleration, look for whatever the lightest weight tire, etc. As far as the spare location, I don't think a bit of deflation should be a problem, just carry a small compressor if needed.

You are right!

Definitely too loud.
Snow - TBD.
I'm running AHC, even with E-rated, ride is tolerable.
Acceleration is acceptable, braking adequate.
I have deflated the spare and that seems to be working.

I do tow occasionally for camping, so that is my biggest question that I need to research at this point. I've gone up as high as 4500ish lbs and I honestly need to look-up where D vs. E rated tires fall in that weight range. Definitely not an expert on that front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom