Tire shop messed up my tie rod ends... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some help. I just bought my '72 FJ40 so I'm new to Landcruisers. I took some new rims to a tire shop in Seattle. They switched out my old rims and drove it around their parking lot to test out the new ones. They completely messed up my tie rod ends because they scraped the inside of the new rims (see pics). My original rims are 15X7 and the new ones are 15X8. Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated.

My FJ40 has Saginaw power steering so I'm told the tie rods are different. Can someone tell me which tie rod ends I need? I went to SOR and the ones listed for FJ40s specifically say they will not work with Saginaw power steering conversions.

Thanks for all your help. It's a frustrating start for a new FJ40 owner. But I'm still so excited to have it.

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

Looks to me like it just cut the boot-dirt shield. The boot is replaceable. No damage to actual tie rod.

Looks like it was time for new ones anyway, wiping some grease off of them on occasion would not hurt anything.

To me it looks like the only thing that made contact with the tire is the damaged boot. That appears to need replacement prior to even having the new wheels installed in the first place... I would re access yourself...

Thanks guys. And I imagine the FJ40 boots are pretty universal over the years?

Unfortunately, the other side is a bit worse. There's a chunk taken out of the tie rod end.

Those outer rod ends should be factory parts. Should be able to drop by most part stores or amazon to get the rod ends and/or replacement boots.
For boot replacement only the trick is getting the old rod end unstuck without destroying it.

Aluminum wheels with the correct offset for a 40 series are hard to come by. Steelies typically fit. SCS wheels are what I'm running, they have offsets that fit any toyota and are hub-centric.

Thanks RstBckt. Very helpful. I see you're in Woodway. I'm in Lynnwood. FJ40 coffee run? I'd like to learn a bit more about this awesome truck.

I'm still learning myself. I've only had it for a year so far. I bought it with the intention of just bouncing to and from work. Then it went downhill from there. Now I'm trying to scrape together every cent that's not blown on the kids extracurricular activities.
Sure we can meet up sometime, I'll send you a PM.

Go to the Seattle Cruiserheads annual picnic this coming Tuesday evening at Golden Gardens Park and the guys there will tell you exactly what you need. Tor and some guys from his shop should be there.

I expect the tre at the pitman arm will be SAE, but the rest should be stock.

The stock Tie Rod Ends will work at each of the wheel Knuckle Arms and the Drag Link Connection at the Passenger Wheel. Probably don't NEED to replace the actual Tie Rod but if you do the stock one is the right length. You will need a different Drag Link for the Saginaw Conversion depending on what the current one you have. It should be around 25.5-26" (one end is 11/16-18 RH thread and the other is M17x1.5 LH thread). You will also need a non-stock Tie Rod End at your pitman arm (SOR Part# 100-905). You can get all these parts on btbprod.com as well. They have 555 Brand and are cheaper than Sor.com. Highly recommend the HD Tie Rod from JT Outfitters if you decide to replace it (they don't sell the conversion Drag Link though, I got off BTBProd.com)

I'm assuming your Knuckle Arms are stock since you have drum Brakes but if you find the connection hole too large to use the stock Tie Rod End you can get the adaptors from Marlin Crawler (Part# MCST-343). This will allow you to use the Stock Tie Rod Ends at the Knuckles if this is needed.

And depending on if you have any kind of lift over 4" you may want to replace the pitman arm. Cruiseroutfitters.com has multiple drop options for the Saginaw Conversion.

Last edited:
The stock Tie Rod Ends will work at each of the wheel Knuckle Arms and the Drag Link Connection at the Passenger Wheel. Probably don't NEED to replace the actual Tie Rod but if you do the stock one is the right length. You will need a different Drag Link for the Saginaw Conversion depending on what the current one you have. It should be around 25.5-26" (one end is 11/16-18 RH thread and the other is M17x1.5 LH thread). You will also need a non-stock Tie Rod End at your pitman arm (SOR Part# 100-905). You can get all these parts on btbprod.com as well. They have 555 Brand and are cheaper than Sor.com. Highly recommend the HD Tie Rod from JT Outfitters if you decide to replace it (they don't sell the conversion Drag Link though, I got off BTBProd.com)

I'm assuming your Knuckle Arms are stock since you have drum Brakes but if you find the connection hole too large to use the stock Tie Rod End you can get the adaptors from Marlin Crawler (Part# MCST-343). This will allow you to use the Stock Tie Rod Ends at the Knuckles if this is needed.

And depending on if you have any kind of lift over 4" you may want to replace the pitman arm. Cruiseroutfitters.com has multiple drop options for the Saginaw Conversion.

Thanks for the detailed message.

Getting the right answers depends on how much beer they/you bring ;).

Tor can hook you up with the good Japanese parts for sure. Always worth a visit to his shop if you have not been.

Go to the Seattle Cruiserheads annual picnic this coming Tuesday evening at Golden Gardens Park and the guys there will tell you exactly what you need.

It doesn't matter what tie rod ends are on the vehicle, if the tire guys knew what they were doing they should have noticed the tie rod ends being too close when they put the rims on.
I am just a shade tree mechanic and have enough sense to check clearances before taking a spin around the bock.
The rubber looks old and cracked and it was not because of the rims.

It doesn't matter what tie rod ends are on the vehicle, if the tire guys knew what they were doing they should have noticed the tie rod ends being too close when they put the rims on.
I am just a shade tree mechanic and have enough sense to check clearances before taking a spin around the bock.
The rubber looks old and cracked and it was not because of the rims.

Different generation people working on a different generation vehicle. 2 wrongs do not make a right.

Same thing happened to me years ago, I had the tire shop buy the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom