Tire Selection Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a completely stock '84 FJ60. The truck is stock and I am about to install an ARB front bumper, winch, upgrade to an Old Man Emu suspension (2" lift) and upgrade to 17" alloys from the stock 15" steel wheels. I will also add a Kaymar rear bumper so the vehicle will be carrying some extra weight. My question is what tire size would be best? The vehicle is far from hi powered and I am worried that the BFG Mud Terrain 285/70/17 (32.7diameter/11.22width/7.85sidewall) I ordered will be too wide. It was suggested to go with 255/80/17 (33.1 diameter/10.04 Width/ 8.03 sidewall). Any suggestions? Anyone who knows these vehicles know they are not rocket ships. Tires are not cheap and I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong tires. If you have any suggestions on minor mods that would help power that would be great too.

Why do you want to go with 17" rim? If you stick to 15 or 16 you get alot more choices and tyres are usually cheaper. I just bought 255/85r16 for my 61 and its perfect.

I ordered American Racing atx3981 mojaves. It's been about a month since I ordered them (they are on back order) but if I remember correctly I was told the 15 and 16" wouldn't fit. I am no expert but I think it was backspace? or an issue clearing the brake caliper.

I called American Racing. The wheel I like and ordered will only fit in size 17".

My 16 x 8 Eagle Alloys are perfect.

You should be fine with the tires you ordered, assuming the wheels you ordered have the correct backspacing. A little big for my taste, but 17 should be ok. I know a few people that run 33x12.5 on a similar suspension setup and have no issues on the road, very little rubbing on Moab trails.

With all of the weight you're going to add(front bumper, winch, rear bumper),I would suggest getting OME heavies front and back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom