Tire rubbing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just replaced my tires with Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/65/18. Made sure with the tire installer bumping from 275 to 285 has no issues and it didn't. Then I had factory springs replaced in back with the OME shocks and 2860 springs to get a bit support and lift for the heavy ARB bumper I have had for years. I like the height now, but to compensate for front, torsion bar had to be turned a bit to level on front which has KYB shocks. Then I noticed slight rubbing on inside/back side of tire when turned all the way to left or right, which didn't happen before the torsion tune, is that what's causing it? Next try is to turn it back a bit in hopes of getting rid of the rub. Don't mind slight rake.

Where is it rubbing, on the frame? Factory wheels/offset?

I think it is the frame, not exactly sure what you call, inside the wheel well. 18" factory wheel

Pics would help to show where it's contacting, but if it's the frame you could either adjust your turning bump stops (sacrifice turn radius) or add some mild (~10mm) spacers, depending on how serious the rubbing is. I'd think, even if you reduced the front TB height, you would still rub at a certain amount of suspension droop+wheel turn.

I think it is the frame, not exactly sure what you call, inside the wheel well. 18" factory

Here are the photos, looks like it is close to frame but not touching. Is that the torsion bar? Looks like it is slightly rubbing that below.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

Nah, that's your sway bar, which seems to be the source of your rubbing. A few options: mild spacers (~10mm or so), adjust steering bump stops, remove sway bars, wheels with different backspacing, different tires. Haven't heard of people hammering their sway bars for clearance, but I guess you could try that too. Heat would help with that.

Ok, I'm not changing tires since I just got them. Tires were not rubbing before the torsion bars were adjusted. So I'm not sure what they did. No suspension work was done in front. Spacers won't affect anything to the ride or turning radius right?

Nah, that's your sway bar, which seems to be the source of your rubbing. A few options: mild spacers (~10mm or so), adjust steering bump stops, remove sway bars, wheels with different backspacing, different tires. Haven't heard of people hammering their sway bars for clearance, but I guess you could try that too. Heat would help with that.
Another option might be don't hold full-lock when you're turning. Go to the rub and take a little steer out. @FlammableFishie makes a good point above WRT turn radius. How tight does your turn need to be?

Ok, I'm not changing tires since I just got them. Tires were not rubbing before the torsion bars were adjusted. So I'm not sure what they did. No suspension work was done in front. Spacers won't affect anything to the ride or turning radius right?

Part of it might be, as the wheel/tire travels downward, the track narrows due to the changing angle of the control arms.

(As you lift the front of the vehicle, the front wheel/tire moves toward the frame)

Last edited:
Spacers won't affect anything to the ride or turning radius right?

No, but they do increase wear on certain components like wheel bearings and there's a chance that they will make you rub on something else like your fender liner. I don't think the additional wear is drastic enough to be terribly concerned though.

Part of it might be, as the wheel/tire travels downward, the track narrows due to the changing angle of the control arms.

(As you lift for your of the vehicle, the front wheel/tire moves toward the frame)

This is true, but also as you cycle through the full range of suspension articulation you will always have this certain point of rubbing. That's why I don't think that adjusting your torsion bars will eliminate the rubbing altogether.

This is true, but also as you cycle through the full range of suspension articulation you will always have this certain point of rubbing. That's why I don't think that adjusting your torsion bars will eliminate the rubbing altogether.

Correct, as adjusting the torsion bars doesn’t substantially change the arc that the wheels/tires travel, it just sets their position at rest (although you might end up making small changes, when you set the alignment, at a certain resting point).

I agree that I think it's the adjustment of torsion bar that probably changed chambers of the wheel and made tires slightly closer in. Rub only happens when I make a very tight turn to almost fully lock the steering wheel. The front needs to lower a bit anyway via torsion because it was adjusted too high to match the rear. Hopefully turning back the torsion will also eliminate the rub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom