Tire rotation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep

GOLD Star
Threads
Whats the proper rotation order? I can never remember...

It's in the owners manual (not the fsm) - but I never worry about it since I'm swapping tires so ofter anyway. :D

Moralien-

Wouldn't that configuration leave the passenger front without a tire?

Sorry,
Driver rear to pass front
Pass rear to driver front,
Pass front to pass rear,
Driver front to spare,
Spare to driver rear...

8)

Repeat after me...

small ds front - remove and hide - put on big swamper
small ds rear - remove and hide - put on big swamper
small ps front - remove and hide - put on big swamper
small ps rear - remove and hide - put on big swamper
small spare - remove and hide - put in big swamper

Tire_anim.gif
:D

I never have rotated. It's all wheel drive and self wearing, drive always goes to the largest tire. The original tires with 60k where worn perfect and so are my BFGs with 52k. just keep the inflation correct.

Keep,
Toyota recommends a 5 tyre rotation; however, the US '97 FSM recommends 3,000 miles and the US '97 owner's manual recommends 7,500 miles. Take your pick.

The owner's manual confirms Nicks rotation sequence.
-B-

I'm with Rick. There's no need to rotate your tyres unless you're getting uneven wear. I had done 15,000 miles on my BFG A/Ts and went to have them rotated by a friendly tyre centre. They told me the tyres were wearing evenly and not to bother...

Jim

Even though they wear evenly, one benefit of a 5 tire rotation is to incorporate the spare tire into the longevity of your set. If you could go 40,000 miles before changing 4 tires, you could theoretically go 50,000 miles with a 5 tire rotation.

However, if you plan on purchasing the exact same tires next time that you have now, the benefit is null.

I'm with Shocker on this one... If nothing else you get 5 tires with equal wear. Not 4 bald tires and on new one. :D And who in there right mind would ever put on the same tire? It's a perfect excuse to go a little bigger.

I'm going to rotate in my spare with my new tires. When I bought my rig the spare looked original and had never been used. It was all cracked, probably dryrotted and useless. What a waste!

The 80s come with 5 matching wheels so rotating 5 is possible. Many/most lessor vehicles only have 4 alloys even if they come with a full size spare. What a waste unless you are going to have them mount/dismount a tyre at each rotation.

50k miles on the BFG A/T's is going to be easy. If they continue to wear at the current rate they will do at least 70k miles. I'm a 5 tyre rotation believer.

-B-

Ah well, that's fine if you have 5 tyres to rotate in the first place. I only have 4 (at least until I make my spare carrier)

Let's say it is a good idea to use the spare and thereby add a little life to the set. Why rotate them? Why not just take it in turns to give one of them a rest? All this front to back, left to right rotation stuff is a waste of time if you are getting even wear..

Cheers, Jim :beer: :beer: :beer: (weekend approaching)

Jim,

>> All this front to back, left to right rotation <<
>> stuff is a waste of time if you are getting <<
>> even wear.. <<

It's hard to argue with that statement. :G

I have them rotated because it was part of my "road hazard" warranty, it is free, they rebalance and rotate, and the tyre dealer recommended it and implied they would look closely at any warranty claims if they were not rotated.

Since the truck gets wheeled in the rocks, sometimes the weights get knocked off so the rebalancing was important to me. There's also the good chance one will get pinched or staked and have to be replaced.

While they have the truck on the lift, I walk around checking brake pad wear, inspect for leaks, look for damage, and admire the new scratches.

If I were paying for each rotation and balance then there is no way I would fork out $15+++ per tyre every 3k miles!!!

-B-

I'm with Junk on this one. Next time I do a rotation I will have a nice pile of MT/Rs and some shiny, but not for long, swampers in their place.

Rogue,

Little off topic here, but let us know what you think of the MTR to Swamper swap. I'm running MTRs now and want to go to something a little more aggressive next time. I'd like to be able to drive on road too though.

The MT/R to Swamper swap will not be anytime soon. Currently my focus is on school and have not been doing much wheeling since my winch incident.

I am getting ready to move and money is getting tighter by the minute. Bills suck!!!

I guess another plus of the 5-tire rotation is it keeps them the same diameter, so if you do need to use the spare in, say, the front, the tires will still wear evening and the steering won't be affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom