tire recommendations needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm leaning toward AT's myself after witnessing Woody take his FZJ80 on BFG AT/KO(1) up this obstacle at Hot Springs.

Those AT tires are fine when it's dry. Not so good when there is any mud. When we went to WR last time there was a 3x locked 80 with us that struggled a little because the tread doesn't void the mud. In fairness the 80 with us didn't have much wheeling experience. So I'm sure that was a factor. After a little coaching and spotting he did really well. I also had some ATs on my Tundra (Nittos) and they basically were slicks in the mud. Did some (not) awesome unintentional low speed drifting at GSMTR a couple years ago. Luckily didn't hit any people or vehicles.

Still, if you plan to do any wheeling I'd go with a hybrid AT/MT like a Duratrac or go full MT if the vehicle doesn't see much street time. For a DD/wheeler I have been massively impressed with the Duratrac. Everyone that I know that has run them loves them. They are a bit noisy on road but that's to be expected with the tread design. Off road they are fantastic.

Also to @jynx's point, any fully off road truck I own will have the KM2s. I had them on my crawler and they were amazing. The ones I had were pretty worn out too.

Thought I would resurrect an old thread despite some flaming by Ted that I know is coming.
...was getting ready for the new years trip and was able to put a screw driver through without any effort on one of them. Basically an accident waiting to happen.

Any input would be appreciated (size is 255/85/16)

Often I only put a voice what the masses are already discussing. :flipoff2:

This begs the obvious question: Why would anyone intentionally put a screw driver through their own tire? I mean come on Andrew, you're a perty smart guy for such a move!
Input: Don't put a screw driver through your own tires, that's what ex-wiv..., oh wait that might be in bad taste. :moon:

You knew this was coming...

Ha ha! It was a real concern of mine for a while. Since I drive to trails the side wall durability was important as well as traction.
My ex was always jealous of the truck. Now it's me, my dog and my truck.

Speaking of which, just got back from the tire shop and found my radiator hose leaks. But at least I got my new tires and they are sure quiet compared to the Maxx is Bighorns. At least Sam approves
uploadfromtaptalk1421294364181.jpg

Good choice Andrew! Those have a very similar tread pattern to the Cooper STTs that I use to have. When are you going to test them out?

Good choice

This isn't your DD is it? I will be interested in the long term reports.

I have some toyo 35's MT on my 60...I like the tires, plenty of great reviews floating around and in my view a good choice for a truck that is not a hard core trail rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom