Tire recommendations 285/75-16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,
looking for some tires (285/75-16) recommendations for my '97 2" OME lift with ARB front bumper.
I live in TX and do not "wheel", some gravel and forest roads in Colorado - those washboard roads about killed me this summer.
I currently have nitto terra grapplers (load range E) from PO, I feel they are pretty loud but really don't have anything to compare well with.
I was considering the Nitto's again as I see they are available in load range D.
Thoughts - recommendations?
thanks,
Scott

Vegasfj40, I really like the K02's, but in that size they are only available in Load "E", it appears that in the past you could get them in load "D" but no longer according to my research. I would like to soften up the ride a bit.......

Do you feel they run pretty quiet at speed?

thanks,
Scott

@luxes the KO2's are a quiet tire all the way around. They work great on everything but mud. If there is any way you can get a softer sidewall like a C or D you will be a lot happier with the ride. Duratrac's are also a good AT and usually close to KO2's in price. You may have trouble finding them in a non e rated as well.

Yeah, the duratracs are only available in load range E in that size (285/75-16) as well. I just purchased a set of Duratracs for my daughters Jeep wrangler (245/75-16) over the K02's because the Duratracs were available in Load range C and the KO2's were load range E.

I have KO2s in this size and like them well. I go through quite a bit of mud as I’m in east Texas but never have found anything that would stop my 80 even with these tires not being the greatest for mud.

I’ll trade mud performance for The quiet ride and better road manners all day long. My biggest concern is getting a flat from a puncture, and these things have been over some rough, jagged rocks, mesquites and prickly pear with no problems.

I have KO2s in this size and like them well. I go through quite a bit of mud as I’m in east Texas but never have found anything that would stop my 80 even with these tires not being the greatest for mud.

I’ll trade mud performance for The quiet ride and better road manners all day long. My biggest concern is getting a flat from a puncture, and these things have been over some rough, jagged rocks, mesquites and prickly pear with no problems.
I have Coopers and just drove 2k miles on them from MT to Mi. Very comfortable on hwy only have done minor gravel roads
BTW I’m selling them as I’m moving up to 315’s

I put on Falken Wildpeak AT3W this spring, they are just coming up on their first rotation.
They are quiet on the highway, grippy on rock, and do just fine on loose sand and gravel.
I'm liking them so far.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT if you are looking for a more aggressive side wall than the Nitto's. These have the look of an aggressive off road tire but with the tread pattern of a street/all terrain. I have a set on my 05 Tundra and currently have about 70K on them and still have about 15k left on them. Best lasting and quietest riding tire I've owned and always get comments about how awesome they look. Here's a few pics on the Tundra forum: What did you do with your Tundra or Sequoia this weekend?

Last edited:
Nine days on Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx LT285/75R16 / 10 Ply - They're pretty quiet. I went from the stock size Michelin's. At 40 psi they were singing a decent amt and rode a little harsh so i dropped them to 32 psi all around and they are great. Made in America, good looking, and supposed to be decent(better than KO2) in mud (according to a buddy of mine) as well although i haven't personally verified the mud usability yet, as my use has been all highway so far abt. 1,000 miles.

I have the Nitto TerraGrapplers in load range E. I have been very happy with them. They have been pretty quiet, I feel. However, I have Maxxis Buckshots on the 62, so tank treads would probably be an improvement.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT if you are looking for a more aggressive side wall than the Nitto's. These have the look of an aggressive off road tire but with the tread pattern of a street/all terrain. I have a set on my 05 Tundra and currently have about 70K on them and still have about 15k left on them. Best lasting and quietest riding tire I've owned and always get comments about how awesome they look. Here's a few pics on the Tundra forum: What did you do with your Tundra or Sequoia this weekend?
I really like the look and sound of them, was debating heavily on those before I ordered new rubber, but ended up with the Toyo AT3 that I’m liking so far. For me it’s the improved wet/snow performance though I’m sure the XLT would have been just fine. Lots of good options.

Here’s a good recent thread, with a couple links to other recents

I had a set of Cooper Discoverers on my 4Runner, and they were pretty loud, which I could have put up with, but also pretty bad on snow and ice. Even though they had aggressive looking treads, the rubber compound could not get a grip when it was cold. I was really happy to trade them out for a boring looking set of Michelins.

Nine days on Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx LT285/75R16 / 10 Ply - They're pretty quiet. I went from the stock size Michelin's. At 40 psi they were singing a decent amt and rode a little harsh so i dropped them to 32 psi all around and they are great. Made in America, good looking, and supposed to be decent(better than KO2) in mud (according to a buddy of mine) as well although i haven't personally verified the mud usability yet, as my use has been all highway so far abt. 1,000 miles.

Same here. S/T Maxx.....got about 10K on them now. Liking them alot. I've run nothing but 10 ply tires on my vehicles for decades. I'll trade a 'little' bit of harsher ride for NO flats and toughness anytime. Hell.....if you have a Land Cruiser and are looking for a smooth ride, you're in the wrong vehicle to start with.

cooper-discoverer-st-maxx.jpg
Cooper1.jpg

Anyone had luck finding something in a D load range rather than the heavy E options in the 285/75 sizing? Looking for a ~33" tire, but was hoping to avoid E load range tires (which appears nearly impossible). I'm not ready for the 1FZ to get any slower. 🤣

The Milestar Patagonia A/T's are quiet and quite rugged from my experience. Certainly not aggressive, tho deceptively effective in snow with the copious number of sipes. Mine are E-load, but again they are squarely in the A/T/good road manners category. Just mention them as the OP seemed to be mainly road-use.

Ive had a few sets of duractras in that size, not sure what the load rating was but heck they preformed well on and off the road for years... awesome in the winter too if that matters, honestly Ive always run duratracs on all my trucks so my opinion is weak but Ive never wanted or felt the need to switch it up, was very impressed with the first pair and have stuck with them since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom