1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tire question

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by sc40, Jul 16, 2005.

1. sc40

sc40

i am looking for new tires. i would like to know of some tires that you guys run that are getting apx. 50,000 miles tread life. the more aggersive the better. also how do you like them ect. this is a dd and i dont have anywhere to store another pair of rims/tires

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    You are dealing with an oxymoron. Agressive tires last nowhere near 50,000 miles.

you need to make up your mind about what you want.

3. sc40

sc40

i want the most aggerasive tires that i can get apx 50,000 on

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    That would be a hiway or all-season tread with a very hard compound.

5. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

Any aggressive tire is going to be a lot softer compound than your normal street tire. No way to get 50,000 miles out of something like a Swamper. The harder the compound, the worse the traction on dry roads (or rocks, etc). The softer the compound, the better that tire is going to grip the road and any off road obstacles.

6. sc40

sc40

ok, the reason i was asking for 50.000, is that is what procomp at's are garonteed for. so i will rephrase my question to what are a few sets of well wareing tires, i honestly want somthing between a mt and at, i like the procomp xtream at's. so anyway sorry for all the confusing blaber. thanks

7. zebrabeefj40

zebrabeefj40

Best compromise tires that last that long seem to be BFG AT/KO's or MT's. Goodyear MTR's might go that far with regular rotation and balancing. I have used BFG AT/KO's for DD/wheeler duties in the past and had no problems with anything except deep, nasty mud. My wheeling was mostly at Paragon in PA where the rock is like 5 grit sandpaper which plays into AT/KO's strengths (lots of rubber on the rocks) but only a few trails with deep mud. The AT/KO isn't the "coolest" tire on the road but it sure works IMHO.

I also used some borrowed BFG MT's for awhile for DD'ing. I didn't like them near as well as the AT/KO's. I thought on both water and snow the MT's liked to slide far too often. Heck, my Swamper TSL's seemed to handle bad weather better than BFG MT's; but you won't get 50K miles out of TWO sets of Swampers!

I have no personal experience with Goodyear MTR's. Someone else will have to give their experieces with them.

In case it wasn't clear: I recommend BFG AT/KO's. :cheers:

Nick

8. e rock

e rock

X2

Plus they're extremely common, so you should be able to find a lightly used set for less than half the cost of new. Many people claim to get 40,000 miles out of a set. I had a set for over 20K, and they were still in good shape when I swapped them to another rig and sold it.

I strongly DO NOT recommend Pro-Comp tires at all. For the 'aggressiveness' of the AT, you might as well get some Michelin LTXs and you'd have a long-wearing tire with excellent road characteristics.

9. calamaridog

calamaridog

Good luck with that ProCrap guarantee. They are under investigation by several State Attorney General offices for fraud.

Not to mention their tires are mediocre at best.

If you run your AT's beyond safe and effective treadlife then 50,000 is possible.

10. honk

honk

Media:
    Find somewhere selling surplus military truck tires. They may negate the oxymoronic "aggressive long life". Or not.

11. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck USFS HOTSHOT GOLD Star

Not to challenge anyone here, but i do know that i got 48,000 out of a set of 33x15.50 swampers and sold them for one hunderd for some one to have spares, They did have some serious patches in them though. Also had a friend running 35's that never went offroad and put over 50,000 on his swampers. So from my experiences i say that you can but that is just my .02 cents.

Again not wanting to start anything by this.

12. zebrabeefj40

zebrabeefj40

Easy to find used; available new from Sears. Many sizes in stock. Warrentee honored all over the country. Road hazard covers most offroad damage too!

Nick

13. Josie'sLandCruiser

Josie'sLandCruiser Stop calling it a "FJ."

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All:

I've run over 50,000 miles on two sets of off-road tires - a set of Bridgestone "Desert Dueler" all-terrains, and a set of BF Goodrich T/A Mud-Terrains. One of the secrets to long tire life is regular rotation - like every 7,000 miles or so (every other oil change.) I'd also suggest having the BFG M/Ts sipped, this improves their wet pavement performance and seems to lengthen the lifespan of the tire itself.

I have no idea if one can get 50,000 miles out of a Super Swamper radial tire, but you could try, and report back to us later!

Good luck!

Alan
    Seattle

14. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

i have goodyear at's and they are lasting quite awhile but by no means are they what one might call aggressive

15. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

I have had a few sets of BFG A/T's last well beyond 50k. I run these on my cruiser, but it honestly doesn't see any hardcore off road use. I would strongly discourage getting pro comps. I only know a few people who have run them, and it was for a short time until they could get something different. One guy I know punctured 2 sidewalls on some p/c m/t's within a few weeks. He went to BFG's and hasn't had a problem since.

16. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Alan,

I have had my BFG M/Ts siped for both wet road and snow traction and they are great. I had not heard that it makes them last longer, but, if so, WOW!

17. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

For me it's very difficult to determine what kind of treadlife I could've gotten on my MTRs.

How many miles did I scrape off my tires while they spun on that particular obstacle? 10? 100? 1000? Dunno.

If you wheel your rig, your tires will eventually spin on something. That means loss of tread...which means loss of treadlife...which means fewer miles.

Get a tire that best suits your needs and don't sweat the "how long will it last" issue. It'll last as long as it does...then you get new ones. That's the way I look at it anyhow.

If you want something for comparisons against other tires, look at the sidewall of your tire and find the treadwear rating. You'll find a number 120 or 180. This is a rating of the tread's durability, as tested against an industry standard. The reference number is 100 so a tire with a treadwear rating of 180 has an 80 percent longer predicted tread life while a rating of 80 means a predicted tread life only 80 percent as long as the industry standard.