Tire question…. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ToyotaTrk

SILVER Star
Threads
So I’m no tire guru or off-roader, yet, but question…. Just glanced at the tires while filling up and thought they looked a little worn on the edges? Yes or normal? This is the left side only. They look the same all the way around. OEM, 56k miles and city car at 33psi cold. Tks.

A9C0FA8F-DFFA-45EB-8327-4FB73DFC48E8.jpeg

B8E2400D-FC0B-4ABD-BF82-B82A22E3FE73.jpeg

That is definitely wear on the outer edge.

Guess I should have caught before now. Can’t imagine that it just happened over over our 2 1/2 week, 3600 mi road trip we just got back from??

I have no idea what the best PSI is for OEM rubber, but on my 275/70/18 BFG KO2's I run them around 38-40psi.

Looks pretty normal for fairly worn tires on a heavy, full time 4wd truck to me. If I don't rotate the tires every ~6K Miles I'll get some outer edge wear on mine. Those are due for replacement before too long anyway in estimation. You're almost at the wear bars and they look like they have some age cracking. Then again, I don't tend to run my tires til the bitter end either, the performance degrades too much.

Looks pretty normal for fairly worn tires on a heavy, full time 4wd truck to me. If I don't rotate the tires every ~6K Miles I'll get some outer edge wear on mine. Those are due for replacement before too long anyway in estimation. You're almost at the wear bars and they look like they have some age cracking. Then again, I don't tend to run my tires til the bitter end either, the performance degrades too much.
its a 2018 truck and oem tires. getting close to replacing. ive always run them at 33psi as recommended but never noticed this wear until now(at least its consistent - all 4 tires. After noticing this the other day, I bumped it up to 36psi cold. What ive noticed: when slowing down from moderate to high speed, the steering wheel no longer vibrates like it use to. Also, at 36, the truck has lost its cush while driving in the terrible, awful, sucky, pot holed streets of New Orleans.... It now send jolts up my spine.

seriously thinking of backing it back off a few lbs back to 33 like the jamb indicates.

It's normal for LC to wear the outer edges of the OEM tires. Keep the cold tire pressure 33-34psi, as you're rolling down 70-80mph on hot summer days it will increase to 39-40psi. 36psi isn't ideal.

It's normal for LC to wear the outer edges of the OEM tires. Keep the cold tire pressure 33-34psi, as you're rolling down 70-80mph on hot summer days it will increase to 39-40psi. 36psi isn't ideal.
Tks. That’s what I was trying to make sure of - 33 cold still recommended….. Going back to that tomorrow…. And the normal wear & tear part.

its a 2018 truck and oem tires. getting close to replacing. ive always run them at 33psi as recommended but never noticed this wear until now(at least its consistent - all 4 tires. After noticing this the other day, I bumped it up to 36psi cold. What ive noticed: when slowing down from moderate to high speed, the steering wheel no longer vibrates like it use to. Also, at 36, the truck has lost its cush while driving in the terrible, awful, sucky, pot holed streets of New Orleans.... It now send jolts up my spine.

seriously thinking of backing it back off a few lbs back to 33 like the jamb indicates.

I'd go back to 33 psi and get ready to replace the tires. They've probably always had that slightly uneven wear, but as you get closer to the wear bars it becomes more obvious.

Tks Tim. A LOT of tire stuff here. I’d like to find something quiet and city comfy while having some off-road traction but necessarily super heavy duty off-road.

This is in the realm of normal for age and wear, and depending on terrain you're running on. No need to compensate. Possibly a rotation if it's due. Still has some miles left if you're looking to eek every bit of life out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom