Tire pressure monitoring valve stem caps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched for coverage about these little valve stem caps with the colorful pressure indicators and see lots of TPMS threads but didn't find mention of the caps.

I have two college age kids driving 100 series cruisers and thought this might be an easy way for them to visually notice if tire pressure is adequate. I know nothing beats a pressure gauge or a quick trip to a tire store, but they don't always have the time (read "want to") do that.

If anyone has good recommendations I am open. Thanks

I have searched for coverage about these little valve stem caps with the colorful pressure indicators and see lots of TPMS threads but didn't find mention of the caps.

I have two college age kids driving 100 series cruisers and thought this might be an easy way for them to visually notice if tire pressure is adequate. I know nothing beats a pressure gauge or a quick trip to a tire store, but they don't always have the time (read "want to") do that.

If anyone has good recommendations I am open. Thanks

Be aware of dissimilar metals

tire pressure monitor valve stem caps | eBay

Thanks Phil. What do you mean by "be aware of dissimilar metals?" Are you saying the link you provided would be good options?

Thanks Phil. What do you mean by "be aware of dissimilar metals?" Are you saying the link you provided would be good options?
J,

Galvanic corrosion is an issue when dissimilar metals are in contact. So a aluminum stems and steel caps would not work well together.

Take a look at some of the internal systems that are in production, they work just like the caps, but the monitoring device is on the inside of the wheel, so there is no chance of you losing or breaking one. Both systems are still monitored by an aftermarket screen.

This will hopefully explain the differences of the two types of aftermarket TPMS systems.
ARB Releases Two Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

-C

They tend to be quite big and ugly but most importantly they tend to seize to the stem.

@ $300+ for the ARB TPMS kit seems way out of whack. Amazooom has similar kits for under $75- linked to your cell phone

J,

Galvanic corrosion is an issue when dissimilar metals are in contact. So a aluminum stems and steel caps would not work well together.

Take a look at some of the internal systems that are in production, they work just like the caps, but the monitoring device is on the inside of the wheel, so there is no chance of you losing or breaking one. Both systems are still monitored by an aftermarket screen.

This will hopefully explain the differences of the two types of aftermarket TPMS systems.
ARB Releases Two Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

-C

will do. As always you know what to suggest. Thanks

I'm open to other options, but reliability is key. I'll have to shop around. Anything in particular you can recommend?

@ $300+ for the ARB TPMS kit seems way out of whack. Amazooom has similar kits for under $75- linked to your cell phone

Its in my cart, but I havent pulled the trigger yet-they all seem peetty much the same and priced $50-$80 depending on vendor. I was looking at the screw on cap with blue tooth to Iphone app so I could use the phone or my Vline or tablet to monitor. Next time I swap new tires on then move to the internal TPMS type. For $50 its not a huge risk.

I put the ARB (internal) TPMS kit on my kids 2000 TLC for similar reasons as the OP. The external "valve cap" version would've probably been easier, but I wasn't very comfortable that implementation.

We've been fairly pleased with the system overall, over the last 2 years.

I may be wrong, but from the best I can tell, this is just a rebranded version, of one of the Chinese TPMS systems available at a much lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom