Tire Pressure & Bead damage, leaks, dust, slippage, breaking survey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I run lower tire pressures I get black rubber dust at the bead of the tires. So I wonder how much of an issue this bead wear is?
Googling these topics I don't find much data on them, yes they are issues, but not any parameters on the issues.
Thinking we could collect some anecdotal evidence here.

Slippage - This one area where I could find some data on the internet. Some tire manufacturers did a study on why their tires were going out of balance not long after mounting and found that if tire shop uses too much bead lube the tire will slip on the rim, can be as much as 3" in a couple of days of use. This was use on the street at street pressures. Seems like most tire shops think if a little is good a whole bunch is better. At low pressure, tire slipping on rim becomes more likely even without excess bead lube.
We can collect data by marking the valve stem location on the tires to measure how much the tire slips on the rim and recording tire pressure we use.

Breaking the bead - Just report here when you do with how and what pressure you were running.

Bead leaks - I expect these are going to be our best indicator of long term damage from low pressure usage. So report miles on tire and low pressure you typically run.

Bead dust - Expect it is caused by tire slipping or dust and sand is working its way in to the bead and chewing on the rubber. This chewing can create very small leaks that are hard to find. The black dust is the bead sealing surface wearing away.

No Issues - Record how many miles your tire had when retired and what pressure you run offroad.

I don't run factory wheels but have never had a bead slip or break off. Never dented a wheel or anything either, so maybe I drive like a wuss
Even if you drove like that, which I doubt, you go more places than I would take my Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom