Tire opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've done some searching but haven't really found much on the subject. I figured this is probably the best crowd to ask about A/T tire opinions.

In case you haven't already read about it, I'm attempting to replace the wheels/tires on my new '99 Hundy because it came with chromed aluminum aftermarket rims with a non-OEM offset which makes them stick out 2" farther than they should. Because Toyota decided to make life hard on everyone, they used a 5-bolt pattern on a 150mm BC, with 14mm studs. Finding the OEM wheel (16" diameter) is not as easy of a task as I'd hoped it would be. Since the tires currently on my truck are pretty much toast, I don't really have the luxury of time to sit back and wait for the next good deal. But I dont' want to put new tires on the wheels I have because of the big offset. The OEM 16s are available on MUD occasionally (based on what a search has produced) and other places on the web but for lots of money. Another option is to buy some take-off wheels that came off a new Tundra because the new model has the same bolt pattern and offset values as the 100-series. The problem there is that they are 18" diameter wheels. I'd prefer the 16" but the 18" are more readily available and more reasonably priced. I've been contemplating what tire options I have because of the potential for the 18" rim, but they aren't great. I'm looking for some opinions on the following tire models:

Yokohama Geolander A/T-S
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grade
Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10

I think an All-Terrain tire will be the best choice for my truck and my expected use. I'd prefer the BFG A/T based on past experience but the size I need on an 18" rim is a ridiculous $290 each. I would also consider the Toyo Open Country A/T after Dan (Spresso's) recommendation but can't find a local source with the same warranty/free balancaing,rotation options you get from Discount/Sam's/Costco. I did get a suggestion to ask Discount to special order them for me and could probably even as for a discount from MSRP. But, again, can't do this until I have procured some wheels.

There is a guy in mass that has a set of 16s, lugnuts included that PMd me the other week when I was looking for them. I'll send you his contact if can find the PM. Did you check with Utah? How about Slee, he may be able to locate you a set.

If only you had been looking for em two months ago, I would have sold you my setup and gone with bigger tires on some steelies

As far as ATs, I like the bfgs, easily avaliable pretty much anywhere. I'm thinking about swithing to a more agressive MT next.

Last but not least, check with 8779061010. I'm not sure if the wheels off the burnt up hundred are gone but they're a salvage yard, might have a set.

Last edited:
Did you check with Utah? How about Slee, he may be able to locate you a set.

Utah sold his a week ago. I didn't have a 100 yet.

I'll check with Slee.

If only you had been looking for em two months ago, I would have sold you my setup and gone with bigger tires on some steelies

I had just sold my 60 at that point and still wasn't sure if I was going for an 80 or a 100. If only I had seen the post from Coastal 2 hours prior to when I did, then I'd be #1 on the list to buy them instead of #2.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll check it out.

I thought someone said in another thread that Dan had a line on 16" steelies?

Regardless, considering the life expectancy and quality of the BFG AT's (16 vs. 18), I wouldn't consider the extra $400 a bad investment.

Or you could always invest $400 for the LX 16's here.

I've decided I don't want the steelies. Partly because it would cost $500 for a set of 4, and that doesn't include centercaps or lug nuts. I can get a set of alloys for $350-$400, and that at least includes centercaps, sometimes lug nuts too.

It's still tough to justify the extra $400 on life expectancy since I only drove my FJ60 about 25K miles in 5 years.

the differbece is, a hundred you'll want to drive more. I've driven mine close to 15k in the last 3 months

I see your point. It is a very nice vehicle to drive.

How about Slee, he may be able to locate you a set.

Last but not least, check with 8779061010. I'm not sure if the wheels off the burnt up hundred are gone but they're a salvage yard, might have a set.

No luck with Slee. He has lots of LX470 wheels but no LC wheels.

No answer with the salvage yard. I'll call again later.

Try snookoffroad (Jay Deshetler, he has a set of the 100 Series 16's sitting in his backyard. He is CA so the shipping won't be that much. I will also point him to this thread.

I just sent payment for a set of 4 16" rims off a 2001 that Coastal is selling. Will hopefully have them in a few days.

About 4000 miles ago I put a set of Michelin LTX AT2 P275/65-18 on my '04. They are working out great. Some muted road noise from the AT tread, but not much. They have excellent traction in snow, sand, and mud and have good highway manners. I expect them to run a long time and be worth the $210 each I paid. They are slightly larger diameter than OEM, but they fit fine in the under vehicle spare location.

Marc,
I'm running the BFG 285/75 E range. I don't think you generally get too much hardcore things, I'm pretty sure any A/T will work for you.

Put your chrome wheels on craigslist here, and make sure to mention that they work for the Tunrda's, and Lexus 470's, and I'm sure you can pick up enough to cover the wheels you just bought, and some extra towards the tire fund.

Last edited:
Because the Tundra and 200 have brakes that are too big for a 16" wheel, right? Bolt pattern and offset are good but diameter won't work. I'll still try my luck to sell the old ones to offset the costs of the new wheels and tires.

I brought my detatas to the metal scrap yard and got about 200 bucks. I had two freakin sets of them!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom