Tire mount in place of 3rd row seat bracket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just wondering if there is a inside tire mount that uses the 3rd row seat mounting spot as its anchor? I have 315's and I need a spot to hold the spare, and yes its just laying in the back for now, but that really is a safety issue since my 3 year old rides in the cruiser............If anything ever happened I do not want the tire to fly up from the rear cargo area! I would like a rear bumper but I cant do it as of now that is why I am seeking a "cheap" alternative. Thanks for any advice and help on this issue. Chans

In my wifes truck we placed the tire vertically next to the mount for the third row seat then rachet strapped it to the mount & straped it to the grab handle.
Using the drivers side third row mount. Worked good until new bumper came along.

parabola said:
Be prepared for a nasty rubber smell in your truck if you do this!

Not true. It may smell initially, but my BRAND NEW spare quit smelling up the truck after a week. Now I don't even notice it's there, even after sitting in 95 degree heat all day long.

Doc said:
Not true. It may smell initially, but my BRAND NEW spare quit smelling up the truck after a week. Now I don't even notice it's there, even after sitting in 95 degree heat all day long.
Guess I didn't wait long enough. :D

I'm a little wierd though. because I actually LIKE the smell of brand new rubber tires.

But, the wifey quit complaining about the smell after the first week as well, so I guess it's dissapated pretty well by now.

That reminds me, I really need to rotate the tires on the tank this weekend.

Chris Geiger made one a few years back. Link is below. I asked him about this recently, and inquired whether he would make more. He did not seem all that eager to make more, but he didn't explicitly rule it out either. He did say that if he ever made another one he would like to make it attach at the third row mount, as well as at the grab handle up top, and would make it adjustable for different tire sizes.

http://www.off-road.com/tlc/projects/fj80/intro/

If there were enough interest, maybe some skilled person would make these and sell them. I'd buy one.

My spare is mounted in the vertical on the drivers side with a custom frame
that I built. It attaches to the floor were the seat latches were origanaly. It also
holds the highlift jack,fire extinguisher and co2 tank. The rubber smell went
away after a week or so

convert said:
My spare is mounted in the vertical on the drivers side with a custom frame
that I built. It attaches to the floor were the seat latches were origanaly. It also
holds the highlift jack,fire extinguisher and co2 tank. The rubber smell went
away after a week or so

Can ya snap some pics for us? Sounds like a nice setup!

My spare 315 is strapped in drivers side verticle at seat anchor. I thought it would flap and just be an accident waiting to happen but it's really held tight in this position and won't budge if the air pressure is kept up, and strap is checked to keep it tight. I wish my brand new tire was odor free, but even before it got really hot here in Dallas, it was very noticable especially to others like my wife or friends that don't ride in this vehicle every day. Maybe I need to get this new tire put into the rotation and put one of the other's inside that's been in the open air for a while. Maybe it's the brand new tire that's making it smell more. When it's 125 degree's inside of the cab, it really smells good! So...I highly recommend this mounting place until you get a tire carrier bumper.

Thanks for all the info................As for the smell.....yes my cruiser smells like ass (thats what the wife and friends say when they ride in it)...that damn new rubber smell, I like it really but others say its nasty! Anyway, any other pictures of inside mounting options please post them up. Thanks, Chans

Here are a couple of pics.
IMG_0604.jpg
IMG_0605.jpg
IMG_0607.jpg

Bump

I really like convert's setup. It would be nice to have the tire inside instead of rotting in the sun. It looks like I would lose about the whole DS 3rd row, but I only have one kid, so it shouldn't be a problem for a while.

This looks like something I could booty fab together with my little bro's cheapo welder too.

and yes its just laying in the back for now, but that really is a safety issue since my 3 year old rides in the cruiser............

You can ratchet strap the wheel down connecting across to the 2 seat brackets. Thats what I do. You've gotta do something to hold it, that is dangerous as you said.

It would be nice to have the tire inside instead of rotting in the sun..

Yes, 'cause those other 4 out there on your truck rotting in the sun just suck.

I had a tire stored inside until I started going camping. That tire sucks up a lot of space. Put it on a swing out, and if you are really worried about it buy a $5 tire cover at Wal-mart.

Can anyone post up pics of how they've ratchet-strapped the tire to the 3rd row seat mount? I'm looking to this as a temporary measure until I get my rear bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom