Tire hoist wont lower help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys my tire hoist is pretty rusted up and i would have no way of getting my spare down if i needed to. anyone know how to get off a heavily rusted hoist? or roof rack they dont want so i can carry the spare with me? thanks!

I think the cross member that holds the hoist is bolted to the frame. Check that out. I'm speaking from 40 experience here.

You may also be able to spray PB Blaster or something like it up through the spare.

crossmember is bolted to the frame... soak the thing in PB Blaster for a few days and give it a shot again. I was able to get mine to release doing that. Now I just need to hit the bolts so I can hopefully get it off without breaking the bolts off in the frame.

I was able to get mine to release by soaking twice a day for a week in PB Blaster, or whatever penetrant I could find, and it finally lowered. If you can access the bolts holding the setup to the frame, that's another option.

As others have said try spraying with a penetrating oil like PB Blaster, Gunk Penetrating Oil, Magic Wrench, etc. Just FYI, WD40 is not a good penetrating oil.

If you need a hoist that works I've got the one I had on my truck. I probably won't use it since I installed a bumper with a tire carrier. I was thinking I might use it to carry a second spare but I'm not sure if a 33" tire would even fit between the frame rails.

A 33" will fit under the tank, I have one on my 60 currently.
P1090757.JPG
P1090756.JPG

Careful if you go torchin'
There's a fuel tank right above the spare...
Penetrating oil as suggested, wait a day or so, use propane torch sparingly. Re spray penetrating oil onto hot frozen mechanism, wait 'til cool and try wrench/ tire removal.
GoodLuck

unbolt the cross bar, it's a knuckle busting experience. or cut it with a sawzaw, just dont cut the tank

unbolt the cross bar, it's a knuckle busting experience. or cut it with a sawzaw, just dont cut the tank

This.
I unbolted mine. It took about half an hour of having my face pushed against the tire, but it got the job done, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom