TIre Damage

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Sangamo, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Sangamo

Sangamo

A little background first. 94 FZJ80 with 156K. Heavy/Heavy lift with 285/75R16 Firstone Destination MTs. Tires have about 12K miles on them and a severe chunking problem on one lug on only one tire. All other tires are wearing evenly. I did make it to Katemcy and Superlift Park in Hot Springs on these tires.

Has anyone seen damage like this before? I have removed the tire and am running the spare right now. One complicating factor is I bought the tire online and would like to return it to an authorized retailer locally so I am not stuck with freight both ways and mount/dismount costs.
    Firestone 1.jpg Firestone 2.jpg

2. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

are you afraid it'll blow or trying to deal with a warranty issue?

how did this happen?

3. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

don't know from experience but it was mentioned that failure to air down the tires when offroading can lead to this type of problem.

4. Sangamo

Sangamo

Usually air down to 16 pounds on the trail. I am concerned that at the very least the tire is weakened. I also think it is a manufacturing defect. Otherwise it would happen to the other three tires.

5. Kaderabek

Kaderabek SILVER Star

My warranties from that vendor state that you just have to cut the serial number off the sidewall and send it back, not the whole tire. But that you're responsible for the freight on the replacement tire. This tire looks about as screwed up as a soup sandwich though. Get after 'em! :mad:

TJK

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.