Tire carrier with stock bumper build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I have not been on here for a bit. Check in from time to time checking out the great stuff. I built this for a friend of mine and thought I would share to give some guys ideas. He wanted to retain factory look. I used .188 wall 2x2 for the main swing and .120 for the upper frame. 2x4 .188 for the spindle support, and plated the frame. Built the hitch into the factory frame with additional plating and support. Also did a front frame mounted receiver that comes out the factory bumper but forgot pics. He needed to be able to run winch front or back. :steer:

tent bumper 002.jpg

tent bumper 007.jpg

tent bumper 005.jpg

tent bumper 010.jpg

tent bumper 013.jpg

More pics

tent bumper 015.jpg

tent bumper 016.jpg

tent bumper 017.jpg

tent bumper 018.jpg

the first pic is gold. Thanks. I especially like how you marked the contour of the bumper corner.

Agreed. Looks awesome. Very nice attention to detail on contours and the side angle of the tire to the rear hatch.

First of all, looks very stout! Matches the lines in the back of what I did a while back, but you may want to watch your spacing from the back hatch to avoid a broken window if you get backed into a tree / rock.

I love it! Does anyone sell a bolt on version of this?
I used to, but found it too time consuming. Josh at AJIK asked to be able to build on my initial design and he beefed it up a bit, don't know if he is still selling them or not.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/318750-bolt-tire-carrier-finished-now.html

Just for the record, I am not building these anymore. I loved it when I had it, it was stout as hell and held up on the trail, but I used my own truck for a jig. Now, I've cut off my cross member and installed a 4x4 Labs that I welded from their kit.

Looks great! Since I have no spare tire or holder, this could be a great solution for me. I even have some 2" square stock laying around.

Thanks all, the clearance to the gate is 2". Should not be a problem. Unless the rock or tree does jump out. Years ago I was backing in very deep snow getting turned around and a tree jumped out caving in the rear gate of a heep I had. My own set up is 1.5" with a 37" tire. I built this set up over 3 years ago. To be honest I'm surprised I have not had a single problem with my own set up. It has truly been put to the test. Thousands of miles of washboard and two track roads still going strong.

Thanks again, Phil

tire carrier 001.jpg

Thank you for this thread mister!!!!
This is going to help a lot!!!!!
Love it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom