Tire carrier hinge idea... need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy everyone-

So I have been reading up on all the posts about tire carrier hinge options. I have decided not to run a spindle type hinge set up. I like the Slee style spindles but for nearly 100 bucks there has to be another way. I have heard some sketchy reports about the smaller 1000lb hinges... so I am not going to run one of those either.

Here is what I am planning, I would like some advice. I am planning on running a 3/4" grade 8 bolt as a hinge pin for my swing arm. I am using two pieces of 2x2 1/4" wall tubing for my swing arm and "base." I am sleeving the 2x2 with 1/4" wall DOM tubing and running broze bushings between the tubing and the grade 8 bolt. The bronze bushings have a flange on the top to act like a washer.

My question is, I was thinking of running a nylon washer on top and bottom of the bronze bushings (bearing surface) to aid in smooth operation and help cut down squeeks.

Will the nylon deflect and break (they are .125" thick) under the wieght of a tire and cooler?

Would you leave them out all together?

The bolt will be supported top and bottom with .25" plate... similar to bulletproof bumpers design, and I am trying to figure out if I should factor in another 1/4" of space to account for the nylon washers or if I should scrap them and make the broze bushings a snug fit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rezarf <><

Instead of a 3/4" bolt you could just use some round steel bar. I'm thinking that you're going to want it a little beefier than 3/4" though. Might go bigger on that part and thinner than 1/4" on the part that slips over it. You probably have already done all that research though. Just going by what I've seen, they seem to be pretty big. Nylon washers are probably a good idea, and if they break down the road you can take em off and recap the pin shorter.

Here's a pretty beefy example of a solid looking bumper, it's for a 60 but same same. Notice how huge the pin is.
http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/4+plus60seriestowbumper.htm

We use 1.5" solid bar stock on our spindles, and oil impregnated bronze bushings. Fully rebuildable and far less expensive than ball bearings. Unlike ball bearings there is no maintenance with the bronze bushings, which have a longer life expectancy. I have one in good working order, never rebuilt, that's 10 years old now.

More info here:

http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/customfab.htm

Lance
www.ironpigoffroad.com

I personaly like lances set up also. He helped me with mine .

Thanks. Wait till' you guys see our new DIY tire carrier assembly with high lift mount. Some people who have bought bumpers recently have the new carrier, but I have no pics of it on the website. Rather than making it from tube it's all laser cut and CNC bent plate. So unique that I'm seeking a patent for the design. Anyway, we're also selling that as a DIY part, along with the spindle and everything else you need. I actually sold out of them recently, but the next run should also be priced under $100. (redesigned the ps pump brackets too!) Good stuff, it's is why I gave up a real job to do this for a living... can't let the West coast guys have all the fun!

Lance
www.ironpigoffroad.com

IPOR said:
We use 1.5" solid bar stock on our spindles, and oil impregnated bronze bushings. Fully rebuildable and far less expensive than ball bearings. Unlike ball bearings there is no maintenance with the bronze bushings, which have a longer life expectancy. I have one in good working order, never rebuilt, that's 10 years old now.

More info here:

http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/customfab.htm

Lance
www.ironpigoffroad.com

Good suggestion as that's very similar to what I'm using. Mine's a 1 1/2" stainless rod welded top & bottom through the bumper. Also using bronze sleeves with antiseize applied for extra lubricity.

Check the Iron Pig spindle out if you havent yet. I just ordered mine up today. Should be much better in the long run than my orginal idea.

Thanks for all the input.

Rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom