Tire Advice Needed *not a will it fit* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
I am reviving a '98 Lx470. Picked it up with shot AHC and dry rotted tires. AHC is out for a 2.5 OME - Dobson UPC and Upper and Lower Dobson arms in the rear. Now that the suspension is done I need to pick out some tires. I have read every post I have found by searching on the 100 series tech forum but was hoping some feedback that could help me pull the trigger here. I would like to stick with the 16'' wheel size to try and balance larger overall wheel diameter and total wheel weight. I will be getting the SCS 16'' in a month when the color I want is available as it weighs in at 18 pounds when the lightest 17'' I could find was 23lbs. I will use the stock 16's in the meantime. From what I have read 295/75/r16 seem to be about the largest I can go without making too many other sacrifices in regards to performance. The issue I have is the tire options I can get in a 295/75/r16 are limited. BFG KO2 are 12 weeks backordered leaving the the Toyo Open Country ATIII. Ideally I was hoping to get a hybrid like the Open Country RT or RT Trail over an all terrain.

Thus my question is:

Is it better to get an all terrain in a larger size 295/75/r16 (33.4) or a more aggressive tire in a 285/75/r16 (32.8)?

The truck won't be a daily just used for trips to wheel/camp but I am in midwest so the drive to get to place to wheel and camp is fairly long (at least 2-3 hours each way). Snow performance is not a #1 priority but don't want a setup that will absolutely suck for longer drives and occasional snow use. Do 285/75/r16 looks small on this truck? With the lift I have bunch of wheel well....

image000000.JPG

Pick an AT. Most, if not all, MTs are horrible in any kind of snow or ice. If you're not planning on doing hardcore wheeling, an AT will be all you'll need and there's no reason to pound pavement with an MT. You'd likely spend a little more and hate the drive quality. Lose-lose, IMO.

Myself, I have a set of 35x12.50 XMTs that I throw on for wheeling trips, and stick with some Michelin Defenders in 33" for road-mode. Best idea I've had in a long time.

20220928_123247.jpg

20220902_144136.jpg

I have KO2s but I have BFG Trail-Terrains on a different vehicle and I can't say enough positive things about the Trail-Terrains for whatever that's worth... Smoother and quieter with a mild KO2 look. Not sure about the size you're looking for.

I've been very pleased with the Ridge Grapplers. They're kinda like a dressed up AT. You get a smidge of the larger lug MT capability with a lot of the MT look in a tire that's as quiet and well-mannered as typical ATs. I have been quite happy with them and they've now got some good mileage on them. I think around 20k miles in a couple years with a few wheeling trips, but nothing crazy.

1684612626528.png

I vote the 285s.

I wish SCS would do the F-5s again in silver. I want those in 16x8 for my LC.

Pick an AT. Most, if not all, MTs are horrible in any kind of snow or ice. If you're not planning on doing hardcore wheeling, an AT will be all you'll need and there's no reason to pound pavement with an MT. You'd likely spend a little more and hate the drive quality. Lose-lose, IMO.

Myself, I have a set of 35x12.50 XMTs that I throw on for wheeling trips, and stick with some Michelin Defenders in 33" for road-mode. Best idea I've had in a long time.

View attachment 3327026
View attachment 3327027
Any idea what the weight difference is at each corner with these? Has to be considerable. What’s the driving difference?

Any idea what the weight difference is at each corner with these? Has to be considerable. What’s the driving difference?
I don't know the exact difference off hand. It's a lot. The driving difference is a matter of being in a truck that anyone can be comfortable in, versus driving a truck that your aging mother would rather not take to dinner when they visit you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom