Tire Advice - 2011 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all-

I just got my Amazon Green LC and am looking to change the tires. I currently have BFG KO 2’s on my 97 LC but the 2011 will be my daily driver and I think I may want something a little more highway friendly. However, I still really want some of the AT “looks”.

I am considering:

Continental Terrain Contacts
Bridgestone Revo 3’s
Michelin LTX A/T 2’s
KO 2’s (I still think this will be too firm for what I want)

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

The Continentals tested better than anything on road in dry or wet, both by Consumer Reports and by Tire Rack. It didn’t do as well in snow if that’s an issue. Some report a slight mpg hit vs other tires but P rated I doubt you would notice.

Michelin AT2 last a long time and ride well in wet and dry but aren’t great in snow either. Reported to throw small rocks. Good mpg.

Michelin Defender is a better tire than any of those in winter and off road, lasts forever and is great on the highway with good mpg, but doesn’t have the off road look.

KO2’s are worse on road than any of your other choices. Don’t give up braking distance and control on wet roads in exchange for looks.

I’ve been researching tires extensively but haven’t driven all of your choices, FWIW.

I have used the Michelin Defenders on a Yukon and my 97 4Runner- they work great for highway, snow, ice, and driving through fields. With the Yukon I even drove on a path through the woods that was muddy enough to get mud on the hood... I rarely have to engage 4WD on the 4Runner in the winter, the tires give all the traction I need.

I'm looking to put the Michelins onto my new-to-me 96 LC. These tires come in both a lighter-duty (similar to P ?) rating and the heavier E rating. The 4Runner has the ~P version now and I like how they are compliant and soak up the little bumps. The size I want for the 96 LC only comes in the E rating: LT285/75R16. Second choice for size would be the 265/75R16, which is not E-rated.

My question: is the highway ride noticeably harsher or louder for the E-rated tires? I get off-road a few times a year, mostly farm fields in Wisconsin so this is not my main priority.

I have used the Michelin Defenders on a Yukon and my 97 4Runner- they work great for highway, snow, ice, and driving through fields. With the Yukon I even drove on a path through the woods that was muddy enough to get mud on the hood... I rarely have to engage 4WD on the 4Runner in the winter, the tires give all the traction I need.

I'm looking to put the Michelins onto my new-to-me 96 LC. These tires come in both a lighter-duty (similar to P ?) rating and the heavier E rating. The 4Runner has the ~P version now and I like how they are compliant and soak up the little bumps. The size I want for the 96 LC only comes in the E rating: LT285/75R16. Second choice for size would be the 265/75R16, which is not E-rated.

My question: is the highway ride noticeably harsher or louder for the E-rated tires? I get off-road a few times a year, mostly farm fields in Wisconsin so this is not my main priority.
I have been debating the same issue, size I would prefer for my 2016 LC200 is only available in E rated. I don’t have a first hand comparison but have gotten feedback from those that have gone from P to E rated on Michelin Defenders. There is no increase in noise. However, braking and acceleration are noticeably worse due to higher unsprung weight, and the ride is more harsh due to the higher air pressures that E rated tires require. As a result I am going with 275/65/18 which is available in a P (standard load) version.

I won’t go to E rated just for size. If you need the sidewall toughness of E rated you will have to sacrifice ride comfort and braking distance.

I have been debating the same issue, size I would prefer for my 2016 LC200 is only available in E rated. I don’t have a first hand comparison but have gotten feedback from those that have gone from P to E rated on Michelin Defenders. There is no increase in noise. However, braking and acceleration are noticeably worse due to higher unsprung weight, and the ride is more harsh due to the higher air pressures that E rated tires require. As a result I am going with 275/65/18 which is available in a P (standard load) version.

I won’t go to E rated just for size. If you need the sidewall toughness of E rated you will have to sacrifice ride comfort and braking distance.
Thanks- good to know. I wouldn't have thought the extra several pounds would make a noticeable difference.

Thanks- good to know. I wouldn't have thought the extra several pounds would make a noticeable difference.
It’s because it’s unsprung weight...small amounts of weight make a big difference in a wheel or tire. Large amounts of weight in the vehicle don’t matter much. The ride difference is more from the higher pressure LT tires need to have, not the weight. But the tire weight does impact braking, acceleration and mpg.

For an alternative to the KO2s, I went with Toyos new Open Country AT IIIs, I love them so far. Def louder than my old Michelin Defenders, but much more aggressive, better looking, and 3 ply sidewall gives me peace of mind on the trails.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom