Tips on repainting wheels LX470 anyone......? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to freshen up the wheels on my '99 LX470 before buying new tires for it.

I did a cursory search but did not find much. (might be my Search-Foo is weak).

Has anyone done this and might have some tips as to what color to use (closest to factory) what TYPE of paint to use that will hold up?

Thank you in advance.

Flint.

Geo2.jpg

I hope the picture isn't of your personal wheels that you're going to ruin with paint. They look really minty. There are tons of guides on youtube on how to paint your wheels, one was even posted by a member a couple months ago.

I hope the picture isn't of your personal wheels that you're going to ruin with paint. They look really minty. There are tons of guides on youtube on how to paint your wheels, one was even posted by a member a couple months ago.

Those ARE my personal wheels but that was about 3 years ago. They might clean up that well again, haven't tried yet....but was entertaining the idea of repainting them before putting new tires on. They don't look 'bad' now but could be better. On the other hand IF the factory paint is superior to anything I can purchase and spray today...then I might just clean them and leave them alone.

Exploring options.

just 7 basic steps..
1. scuff with 220 grit sand paper -dry sanding.
2. use acrylic primer -to increase adhesion of base paint - allow to dry 45 mins
3. flatten any high spots using 400 grit sand paper -wet sanding
4. spray base layer color - allow to dry 2 hours
5. using shop towel, gently wipe those loose powdery paint flakes, you'll notice base coat surface is smoother
6. spray 2k polyurethane clear coat (depends if you want gloss, satin or matte finish) and allow to dry at least 8 hours
7. use cutting pad (orange) to increase gloss potential of the clear coat (rotary polisher) - if you want it glossy.

enjoy and goodluck!

I just ran across this a couple of days ago, while I was looking for something else:

Painting your wheels

Are the original wheels painted. Or just hard anodized? Might work to see if an aggressive polish might work. (I'd try it but it would ruin my hard won 1999 "patina " ; )

I'd like to freshen up the wheels on my '99 LX470 before buying new tires for it.

I did a cursory search but did not find much. (might be my Search-Foo is weak).

Has anyone done this and might have some tips as to what color to use (closest to factory) what TYPE of paint to use that will hold up?

Thank you in advance.

Flint.

View attachment 2674366

@flintknapper - Did you ever find the wheel color to use to repaint the wheels on your LX?

@flintknapper - Did you ever find the wheel color to use to repaint the wheels on your LX?

Yes, found what I think is a good match. Cleaned up wheels first (had years of road grime on them) then sprayed wheels. Let cure overnight then two coats of Matte Clear Coat. Holding up well a year later now.

wheel paint LX470a.jpg

wheel paint LX470b.jpg

Wheel Prep2.jpg

Wheel Repaint.jpg

Wheels painted.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom