Tips on fabricating transmission cooler lines (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My front soft transmission cooler lines on my FJ62 are on their way out. I need to get them replaced asap or I'm afraid I might break a line on a long drive and get into trouble. Thinking about replacing all 4 while I'm at it.

29528453336_bea15e3b54_z.jpg

Not surprisingly I can't find new ones anywhere. Looks like people around here regularly just build their own. Which doesn't seem too tricky except for maybe that 90 degree fitting on the left side of the radiator.

Any tips on putting these hoses together? Best practices for hoses or fittings? My truck is currently in the shop and I'd like to go ahead and get supplies but I'm working blind until I get it back. If anyone can tell me the specs on the hoses or fittings I'd appreciate it.

I've never made a hose before so go ahead and talk to me like someone who's never made a hose before.

Last edited:
The fittings into the radiator are threaded M14.5, not sure about the ones in the transmission but I'd assume they are the same.

@Bama4door has his transmission out right now and can check for you.

Get some AN fittings and a good quality hose and it will last you another 20 years. I would recommend going soft line all the way from the radiator to the transmission instead of having the rubber-steel-rubber then OEM uses. I really like the nylon braid AN line.

You should expect this to cost around $100-150 in fittings and hose.

www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com are good sources for AN fittings.

So really all that's needed is the end fittings, a properly rated hose, and hose clamps, right?

Do what I told you and look up AN line and fittings. They don't use hose clamps and offer a much nicer fit and finish then traditional rubber hose and clamps.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the clarification @cruisermatt. I'm with you now. Any idea what diameter hose I need for an '89? Inside steel braided hose diameters on Summit seem to range between .125" (-3 AN) and .690" (-12 AN).

Last edited:
I would shoot for around 1/2". Probably -8 or -10.

Here is what you will end up with if going this route. Mine is a diesel, so a little different, and I used "Push Loc" for the return hose.

Easy to do, just take your time.

IMG_5223.jpg
IMG_5258.jpg
IMG_5246.jpg

The original poster is reffering to transmission lines, although Doug's pictures offer a good visual to how nice and clean proper lines are.

I started out by attempting to fix my old hose by cutting the collars off the oem lines only to find them corroded right where the crimp collar meets the fitting. After messing with some fittings and hose found at Advance just to get back on the road I still have leaks. I'm filling a shopping cart now with the good $tuff. 2 lines/4 fittings or 3 lines/6 fittings if you have an aux cooler. so much less potential for leaks and corrosion than the stock setup.

Can someone please confirm the fitting size at the transmission? I'd like to have my new line terminate directly in the tranny housing ditching that last stock 90deg fitting.

Any tips on putting these hoses together? Best practices for hoses or fittings? My truck is currently in the shop and I'd like to go ahead and get supplies but I'm working blind until I get it back. If anyone can tell me the specs on the hoses or fittings I'd appreciate it.
jegs.com has videos on their site on how to select and make the hose.

Mine is a diesel, so a little different, and I used "Push Loc" for the return hose.

Envious of you guys with your squeaky clean engine compartments. My shop kindly asked me to spray down my gunked up oil cooler with degreaser before i bring it back to look for leaks.

-6 is a good size for trans cooler lines

Quick lesson A/N (Army Navy Mil Spec.) uses sizes based on a 1/16 system so -4= 4/16 or 1/4", -8 =8/16 or 1/2", -10 = 10/16 or 5/8" so on and so forth

Dyno

Envious of you guys with your squeaky clean engine compartments. My shop kindly asked me to spray down my gunked up oil cooler with degreaser before i bring it back to look for leaks.

It's no fun working on nasty dirty rigs. I pressure wash them before I start a project.

Thanks for the a/n lesson. The fitting for the tranny end 90's are 14x1.5 like the drivers side rad. I'm placing and order with jegs tonight. Yea for weekend projects!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom