Tips on adjusting carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I need to adjust my crab so it is not running so rich. The OEM repair manual and the Haynes manual were not real clear on how to adjust this and when to know it is right. Looking for tips to supplement what is in the manual.

Also,
How hard is it to rebuild the carb and how do you know when it needs to be rebuilt?

You need to change the jets in the carb to make it run richer or leaner. The adjustments are only mixture at idle and idle speed. I found the right jets inside my carb as spares but I have a 71, not sure they were in the later ones. The Haynes manual has foot notes about what jets to run at high altitudes. I would rebuild it first and see what happens, when full of dirt they can run rich even with the correct jets sometimes.

[quote author=John S link=board=1;threadid=7293;start=msg60846#msg60846 date=1068396819]
I found the right jets inside my carb as spares but I have a 71, not sure they were in the later ones. [/quote]

Really! How did that work? Were they in the float bowls just bouncing around? I am pretty sure that at 5100 feet I need high alt jets so I am curious about this.

On the front of the float bowl you'll see 2 hex bolt heads. If you remove them, the spare jets are inside. You can change the jets without taking the carb apart.
You need one of those split blade screwdrivers. The jets are accessible through the openings where the hex bolts came out. Keep them straight, primary and secondary, put the ones you took out back in the bolts.
You might want to check the float level and the needle and seat if changing the jets doesn't work.
GL
Ed :)

kewl :cheers:

On the front of the float bowl you'll see 2 hex bolt heads. If you remove them, the spare jets are inside. You can change the jets without taking the carb apart.
You need one of those split blade screwdrivers. The jets are accessible through the openings where the hex bolts came out. Keep them straight, primary and secondary, put the ones you took out back in the bolts.
You might want to check the float level and the needle and seat if changing the jets doesn't work.
GL
Ed :)

Is THIS what you mean by a "Split Blade Screw Driver"

1608339689691.png

How do you get the Jets outs without dropping them in the bowl?

Wow, this is an old thread. I have fuel injection now on my 40 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom