tips needed, how to remove rear axle bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,

Is there a specific tool or a redneck technique I can use to remove the outer axle bearings from my 81 fj40 rear axle?

Thanks

Drake

pushed a piece of tube in from the other end and tapped it out with a BFH (delicate, like....)

I know, you would need the diff out to do it that way though....

Most of the chain AP stores will rent you one for free if you buy bearings from them. Mine was a slide hammer affair. Easy-peasy.;)

If you have a welder, you can also run a bead around the inside of the outer race and the shrink will let them slip out................courtesy of PinHead and others.:cool:

Ed

piece of flat stock 2.5 " long. drill hole in center and tack both ends to bearing with welder, attach slide hammer to flat stock, done.

If you have a welder you can run a bead around the inside of the race after you pull the cage and bearings out. When it cools it shrinks up a tad, the heat may help loosen it a bit too. I bent a bunch of ghetto crap trying to get mine out, then ran a bead about 3/4 the way around the inside and a few taps later it was on the ground.

If you have a cruiser, you gotta have a welder and know a little bit about how to use it.

If you have a welder, you can also run a bead around the inside of the outer race and the shrink will let them slip out................courtesy of PinHead and others.:cool:

Ed

If you have a welder you can run a bead around the inside of the race after you pull the cage and bearings out. When it cools it shrinks up a tad, the heat may help loosen it a bit too.

:hmm::hmm::hmm:;):beer:

Like i said.....din't come from me.............credit goes to PH, IIRC;)

I think a lot of people know about this trick. Anybody that has welded knows that welded metal shrinks when it cools. When I was a lkid, my neighbor was a pipeline and heavy equipment weldor with a Lincoln SA-200 on the back of his truck. He showed me the bearing trick.

I made a slidehammer, works good.
slidehammer2.jpg
slidehammer1.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. At this rate in 4 years I will have enough tricks up my sleeve and enough tools in my box to really get myself into trouble.

I Appreciate the help

Same problems worlwide.......:popcorn: BTDT:wrench:

3a70_1.JPG

Cheap at ebay over here, should be harbour freight or similar in the US.

That's a nice looking tool there.

I've never had good luck with those spreading finger types of slide hammers. The fingers usually can't take the hammering and break.

Thanks Hawkdriver, it was easy to make too. Just don't get any skin in between the slide and the stop...ask me how I know. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom