Tips for removing painted over windshield Screws (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all
Anyone have any tips for removing painted over windshield screws off my 79 without seriously damaging existing paint. Removed paint from top of Screw using aircraft stripper but looks like a build up of paint between screw and mounting bracket.

Use a large good fitting Phillips head screwdriver and really lean into the screw with vise grips clamped to the handle (or wrench if 6 sided handle) and turn slowly. Never hurts to soak with penetrant too. Good luck!

I would take a different approach. Because 79 has button head screws I would tape the paint around the screw then use curves jaw channel lock pliers or curve jaw Visegrip. I have also had better luck some times but my trying to tighten to break the bond. Would need to replace the screws but they if you damage the head at all I wouldn't reuse a Phillip style screw.

Hello all
Anyone have any tips for removing painted over windshield screws off my 79 without seriously damaging existing paint. Removed paint from top of Screw using aircraft stripper but looks like a build up of paint between screw and mounting bracket.

Are you wanting to save the screws?

A nice JIS #3 size Phillips that you strike and put a wrench on will do the trick.
78B59F60-D2C6-4233-B2D9-E37341EBD56E.jpeg

Brian, you ment to say gold? Does salt mean not good?

salt was once the gold standard...in fact it is the root word for salary

....Impact gonna strip...😬. Sorry to beat a dead horse but Pennsylvania cruiser???...I’d try my method first, trust my I’m from northern Ohio : ). Can’t hurt to try first, and I’m sure you have all the tools you need in the garage already.

the JIS suggestion is key... but I would use an impact driver with JIS#3 cross point bit

It is literally amazing how much better JIS grips than phillips - GAME CHANGER!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom