Tips for Big Bend area in December (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Folks
Heading over from CottonLand to explore Big Bend area. Any must see or trails to explore? My rig is setup for overland so I’m not interested in rock climbing.

I have not ventured far off of the pavement there, so I cannot speak personally to what overlanding opportunities are there. Chisos Basin is a must see, with lots of great hikes (south rim, lost mine and window view trails). The Santa Elena canyon is worth the drive, too. It's pretty amazing how "silent" the desert is out there.

An incredibly scenic drive is FM 170 from Lajitas to Presidio. It follows the Rio Grande through Big Bend Ranch SP through canyons with a view to the mountains in Mexico, really amazing.

I have not ventured far off of the pavement there, so I cannot speak personally to what overlanding opportunities are there. Chisos Basin is a must see, with lots of great hikes (south rim, lost mine and window view trails). The Santa Elena canyon is worth the drive, too. It's pretty amazing how "silent" the desert is out there.

An incredibly scenic drive is FM 170 from Lajitas to Presidio. It follows the Rio Grande through Big Bend Ranch SP through canyons with a view to the mountains in Mexico, really amazing.
Great. Thanks

Hey Folks
Heading over from CottonLand to explore Big Bend area. Any must see or trails to explore? My rig is setup for overland so I’m not interested in rock climbing.

Lots of great overlanding there. Strong recommendation to run Old Ore road. Great stops at Telephone canyon for a short out and back hike, and if you run it north to south you should have great views and end near the hot springs, which are very worthy of a dip.

River road is also a great overland drive. If you want slightly more rugged, then tackle Black Gap Road. It's un-maintained. The only really challenging part is a step you either go up or down depending on direction. If you are lifted with 33" + tires you will be fine.... other stock cruisers could get through based on all of the rocks people have piled near the step to make it easier... great way to get to Mariscol Mines and do a walking tour.

Terlingua Ranch road comes into the north side of the park and you can take that into Terlingua ranch which is all overlanding. Good way to get to the Bad Rabbit Cafe @ Terlingua Ranch.

There is a trail that goes to the top of the Christmas Mountains (incredible view) just outside the park. I know you have to register somewhere to get access to the trail and there are 2 access times - before noon and after noon. Google around for more info... but the views!

If you want some harder core overalanding (not rock crawling), Big Bend Ranch State Park next door has unlimited trails... mostly NOT maintained so they can get overgrown in some areas. Should be fine if you have a bash plate and sliders.

Have fun.... such a great area.

Lots of great overlanding there. Strong recommendation to run Old Ore road. Great stops at Telephone canyon for a short out and back hike, and if you run it north to south you should have great views and end near the hot springs, which are very worthy of a dip.

River road is also a great overland drive. If you want slightly more rugged, then tackle Black Gap Road. It's un-maintained. The only really challenging part is a step you either go up or down depending on direction. If you are lifted with 33" + tires you will be fine.... other stock cruisers could get through based on all of the rocks people have piled near the step to make it easier... great way to get to Mariscol Mines and do a walking tour.

Terlingua Ranch road comes into the north side of the park and you can take that into Terlingua ranch which is all overlanding. Good way to get to the Bad Rabbit Cafe @ Terlingua Ranch.

There is a trail that goes to the top of the Christmas Mountains (incredible view) just outside the park. I know you have to register somewhere to get access to the trail and there are 2 access times - before noon and after noon. Google around for more info... but the views!

If you want some harder core overalanding (not rock crawling), Big Bend Ranch State Park next door has unlimited trails... mostly NOT maintained so they can get overgrown in some areas. Should be fine if you have a bash plate and sliders.

Have fun.... such a great area.
Thank you. Just what I was looking for. My rig has a 3 inch lift and well armored by Dissent. These trails will work fine since I’ll be alone and still need to drive my rig home. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom